Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop diasppeared

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Henry2014

Henry2014

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

So I cleaned up my hard drive on my Windows XP machine, erasing unwanted programs to recuperate space.

Some were stubborn (like MS Flight Simulator) so I eraised them in the program files folder. 

At one point the desktop went blank, all icons disappeard, background picture still there.

I rebooted, hoping it would fix it ... no, same thing.  

With control/alt/delete I got into Task Manager.   Under 'File'/ 'New Task'/ 'Run' I could run programs and under 'Browse' I can see all my directories and files.
I searched and found 'System Restore' in 'System32'.  I ran it and tried to restore to last restore point  ... failed.  Tried two older restore points ...could not restore.

So I'm stuck.  Can anyone tell me how to get my desktop back???

Help greatly appreciated.

Henry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

First...how large is the C: partition?

How much free space in C: right now?

FWIW:  Deleting programs...is NOT the way to gain hard drive/partition space.  Programs take up less space that video files, games, graphics, music files...it's better to move the files for My Videos, My Music, etc...to another location, either another partition/drive or archived storage such as DVDs, external hard drive, etc.

Louis

#3 Henry2014

Henry2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

It has 53 GB and about 8 GB free.

PS: I think the Flight Simulator occupied 1.7 GB

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

It sounds like something is keeping explorer.exe from running. On the blank destop press Ctl+Alt+Del to bring up the Task Manager. In the menu bar select File>new task and type explorer.exe. Does it bring back the icons?

#5 Henry2014

Henry2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Tried that a few times.
When I start explorer.exe, directly by typing or from the Window folder, the task bar comes up at the bottom for one second and then disappears again.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Either explorer.exe is missing or there is a malware issue. See the following link. You can look at these keys offline using the registry editor in Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10. If the keys are present as listed in the link I posted, I would not delete anything but post a new thread in "Am I infected" or have a moderator move this thread to there.

The values under the iexplorer can be legit or infected by malware. I have the iexplore key and it has these values. I would be suspect if there was anything different in yours. You should not have the explorer key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options

#7 Henry2014

Henry2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

Now I am confused!

Did you mean explorer.exe or iexplorer.exe (typo?)?

I remember trying to delete iexplorer.exe in the directory C\Program Files\Internet\ believing it is Internet Explorer.   Is it or not???.  The iexplore.exe is still there, would not delete, but a bunch of other files in that directory were deleted.

If it is not Internet Explorer and the files are needed, how can I get them back?

#8 Henry2014

Henry2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

PS:  explorer.exe is present in C:\Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users