Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Mouse keeps freezing on start menu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Bond

Dr. Bond

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Every now and then, unpredictable, my USB mouse will freeze. I have to unplug and reinstall it to reload the driver and return functionality. For some reason it freezes in the lower left corner above the start menu. The left and right buttons still respond, so it's not entirely frozen. But I can't move the cursor at all.

I'm wondering if this is a common issue with Windows 7. If so is there a setting I can adjust that might fix this? 

It tends to freeze only when the computer has been idle for some time. I thought therefore that it might have something to do with the power management settings, the sytem is currently set to "Balanced" and the USB selective suspend setting is "disabled". The Mouse power Management is set to "Allow this device to wake the computer", and the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option is deselected and grayed out.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

It is possible that some usb sleep setting is causing the problem. Is there an updated driver for the mouse from the maker's website?

Is this a wireless mouse? If it is I would try replacing the batteries. It is strange that the buttons still work but worth a shot...

If this mouse is an optical version, sometimes dust or a hair can cause issues with the movement of the mouse. You could take a qtip and clean the clear part over the sensor (on the bottom may be near a red light if it is not infrared).

If all fails, I would try a new mouse and see if you still have the issue.

Edited by zingo156, 27 January 2014 - 12:41 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

A lot of times when you open up the Start Menu, Windows Explorer is what will cause this freeze.  There is no rhyme or reason why.  I have had it happened even in Windows 8.x.  All you can do is run Process Explorer, have it open while you are doing stuff, or use Process Monitor to trace what is causing this.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

Another thing to try is deleting it in devices then reboot and let windows find it, I have Logitech on my lap tops with no drivers one wired and one wireless no issues.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Dr. Bond

Dr. Bond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

zingo156:

Do you know of any sleep settings in Windows 7 that might cause this? I haven't found anything beyond what I mentioned that I thought might cause this.

I did check the drivers and they're up to date. I was hoping it would be such a simple fix.

It's not a wireless mouse unfortunately. That would also be a simple fix. And yes, it would be odd for the buttons to still work if this were the cause.

I've checked the optical sensor and it appears to be clean. Plus, this only happens when it's been idle for some time. Otherwise it works perfectly.

I may have to try a new mouse, and I'm hoping this is all it is.

Greg62702:

I've also had issues with Windows Explorer before, namely causing files to freeze in place (can't delete or move them). Usually I have to reboot the system to fix this. Sometimes simply changing a few settings will do the job. Sometimes these solutions work, sometimes they don't. I've had difficulty pinning down what causes the issue. However, the mouse freezes when the computer has been idle, never when I click on the start menu.

Phil:

I usually just pull it out of the USB port and reinstall, but I haven't gone so far as to delete it from the devices entirely. I'll try that and let you know if the problem persists. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your feedback and help.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

In windows you have already turned off the one I would assume would cause a problem by doing this: "Balanced" and the USB selective suspend setting is "disabled"

Unless the driver itself from the manufacturer has it's own setting for sleep windows should not be causing the issue with usb sleep disabled.

Let us know if uninstalling the driver from device manager changes anything. Windows may have some generic default driver that won't cause the same issue but you will likely lose the ability to change what mouse buttons do what (if you customize them currently).

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 eclark53

eclark53

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

Well I solve my issue my removing the mouse from the device manager and rebooting the computer to safe mode and then rebooting the computer naturally.

Estelle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users