Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Failed To Start. A Recent....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tgoodch1

tgoodch1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hi everyone,
I've got a problem and hope someone can help. Boopme helped me a few months back with different issues and I was very grateful for that, so maybe someone can hold my hand on this.

(I'm typing from a phone so please bare with me)

System: Dell Dem E521
BIOS VERSION: 1.1.4
Vista
AMD Athlon 64x2 dual 3800

Problem:
About a month ago the computer froze and had to be restarted. Restart takes me to a black screen that says WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY....Windows failed to start......then 2 options (startup repair) and (start normal)

Startup repair just loops right back to the WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY screen every 30 seconds.

I've tried safe mode, recovery DVD, and all just go right back to that windows error recovery screen.

If anyone can help please let me know what other details u need, because I'm pretty lost and sure I left something out.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

I would suggest doing a repair installation, this will not effect your data.

There is a good tutorial at Windows Vista Forums which includes a download for a ISO image which you can use to create an installation disc.  You will need to slipstream SP1 or SP2 to match the SP you have installed.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask for help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tgoodch1

tgoodch1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hey dc3, thanks for replying. Reading some of the link you gave it mentions a clean install, which I'm interpreting as reformatting back to original setup, losing all unbacked up information???

I actually don't mind losing anything if it's easier to just do that with the disk I have. My question is how? Everything I try keeps looping back to that "WINDOWS FAILED" page. Even the factory DVD that came with the computer does it.

Would u think the disk drive may be bad or a bad disk maybe? I'm not sure if what I'm trying to say makes sense, but I'm not sure what else to call it other than looping back to the same page over and over.

Again, I'm on my phone so sorry if this reads funny.
Hey dc3, thanks for replying. Reading some of the link you gave it mentions a clean install, which I'm interpreting as reformatting back to original setup, losing all unbacked up information???

I actually don't mind losing anything if it's easier to just do that with the disk I have. My question is how? Everything I try keeps looping back to that "WINDOWS FAILED" page. Even the factory DVD that came with the computer does it.

Would u think the disk drive may be bad or a bad disk maybe? I'm not sure if what I'm trying to say makes sense, but I'm not sure what else to call it other than looping back to the same page over and over.

Again, I'm on my phone so sorry if this reads funny.
Sorry for double post

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

You will need the installation disc to do the repair installation.  Because of the addition of the two service packs creating a installation using the instructions at Windows Vista Forums becomes a little complicated, but I believe will be worth the effort.

In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order and the hdd the second device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users