Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Impossible to Login to Windows?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jsinclair92

jsinclair92

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

My girlfriend mentioned to me one day that she had forgotten the windows password to her laptop (she never used it) and asked me to take a look at it.  The first thing I noticed was it was an HP laptop with fingerprint and face recognition as well as other annoying security features. I instantly thought this was going to cause problems, which turned out to be true.  I'll try to be thorough and explain what I have tried to do so far.

First I thought I should sign into the Admin account, or any other account other than her own personal account, however her account was the only one available (even in safe mode).  Then I went into the BIOS and reset the settings which I instantly regret, but hindsight is 20/20.  After resetting the BIOS, under her username (at the windows login screen) it says "password not available".  Next I went into safe mode and tried to click the forgot password button and used a disk I had made on my laptop, but of course this didn't work because it wasn't made on her own computer.  I also tried a password reset disk which did not work either.  I saw this trick online and tried it, http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/reset-password-windows-7.htm , and after doing this when I entered the "new" password at the Windows Login screen it says "Unknown Username or Bad Password."  I then ran a restore point, I doubted it would do any good at all but It was worth a shot as I was running out of options.  Next I tried using a password cracker program and it could not find the password to the account.  My next option is completely re-installing Windows, however I Cannot access Windows on her computer so I can retrieve the product key for when I go to re-install it.

I'm at my witts end and have been digging a hole for myself with this situation.  If anyone has any thoughts at all please feel free to comment, I'd really love to get this fixed as soon as possible because I'm tired of fooling with it haha. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

By chance did you look for a sticker on the bottom?  Most all have COA stuck on there.

Also check the manufacturers site to see if there is restore using a key combo.

I recently got into a locked Acer using F10, you may or may not lose any programs and data.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 27 January 2014 - 12:11 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

Sorry, but no one on here or other forums can help you in bypassing Bios password locks, hard drive locks, or how to get around the lost Windows password, due to security concerns.  Suggest she contact HP Support regarding, or take it into a local Mom & Pop, not Best Buy.

#4 jsinclair92

jsinclair92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

By chance did you look for a sticker on the bottom?  Most all have COA stuck on there.

Also check the manufacturers site to see if there is restore using a key combo.

I recently got into a locked Acer using F10, you may or may not lose any programs and data.

Phil

Why didn't I think to look on the bottom?? Haha thanks Phil, that's a life saver.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

You are welcome!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users