Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file does not have a program associated with it

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 splooosh

splooosh

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

hi, I've tried fixexec which says, no processes found to kill, so I'm still unable to open up any links as I continue to get this message, I had another msg pop up, multimedia keyboard driver has stopped working, don't know if this is related

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

Is it just one file that you have this problem with? If you right click on the file can you see the extension for example .exe, .bat, .jpeg etc? If you can see that information and let me know the extension I can possibly tell you how to open it and fix the association.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

Also, if this is windows vista, windows 7 or 8, you could try a restore point to a date before the issue occurred.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 splooosh

splooosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

hi, I have vista home edition, when I open an email, ie, for ebay or facebook, etc, and try to click on the link, that msg always pops up, right clicking doesn't bring up those extensions you mentioned, I  also tried a restore point before this began but it still didn't change anything, when the computer came on again, I also had 2 msg boxes saying multimedia keyboard driver stopped working

thankyou

#5 splooosh

splooosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

hi, just noticed a msg, system rstore did not complete, unspecified error occured

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

It sounds like the default browser has been changed, have you installed google chrome or firefox recently? Have you uninstalled google chrome or firefox? If you use Internet Explorer we can quickly reset that to the default browser following these instructions:

1. Open Internet Explorer

2. Click the settings button at the top right and click Internet Options. You can also do this by clicking Tools>Internet Options from the menu bar.

3. Click on the "Programs" tab (2nd tab from the right).

4. There should be a button that says "Make Default" Click this button. There is a check box under the make default but slightly to the left that says "Tell me if Internet Explorer is not the default web browser." put a check in that box.

5. Close internet Explorer and re-open it. Try to click on your links again from email.

#7 splooosh

splooosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

hi, yes recently I tried to uninstal google chrome for the older google and when when I did the above instructions, I can now get to the links in the the emails, thankyou

do you know if this will will also rid me of the multimedia keyboard msg when restarting

Barry

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

I am not certain if this will get rid of the multimedia keyboard. Is it an onscreen keyboard that appears on boot? You may have to change accessibility settings. Accessibility settings are: start menu>all programs>accessories>ease of access>ease of access center. There you can see which ones are set to start (if they are highlighted or have a blue line around them they auto start). You can click on them to enable or disable.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

hi, I have vista home edition, when I open an email, ie, for ebay or facebook, etc, and try to click on the link, that msg always pops up, right clicking doesn't bring up those extensions you mentioned, I  also tried a restore point before this began but it still didn't change anything, when the computer came on again, I also had 2 msg boxes saying multimedia keyboard driver stopped working

thankyou

The keyboard issue looks like it is probably related to the driver itself. Is it a logitech keyboard? Is there software that came with the keyboard? I would start by trying to re-install the software for the keyboard.

#10 splooosh

splooosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

hi, I found the following info and it got rid of those 2 error messages, Multimedia Keyboard Driver has stopped working pop-ups at restart

go to START menu
go to
Computer
go to
OS © and double click on it
go to
WINDOWS folder
open it
Scroll down until you find
Mhotkey files (they will be listed BELOW the folders)
Delete them

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

That is good to know, thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users