Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue With HP Pavilion DV6701us - a required cd/dvd device driver is missing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mavengroup

mavengroup

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

Wondering if anyone has ever run into an issue like this?

First, I am aware of all the bizarre issues with the HP DV computer line as related to the CPU/Video, overheat issues (etc).  Although, I am not willing to resign myself to that being the case/cause for this issue.

Here is the problem.  I cannot install windows from an the optical drive that is installed in the system.  I get the error during startup that "a required cd/dvd device driver is missing" and a box to select drivers.

Here is what I have tried based on what I have found in my Google Searches:
1. Windows 7 disc (not SP1) burnt ISO that I have created.
2. Windows 7 SP1 purchased optical media.
3. Windows 8.1 burnt ISO that I created.
All with the same issue.

Latest BIOS is installed in the system.

The BIOS on the unit does not allow me to select a SATA Type (i.e. legacy, AHCI, RAID, etc.) so I cannot change that.

Here is where it gets interesting.... I can boot and run everything else from this drive (Ultimate Boot CD, Virus Scanning CDs, Installed Ubuntu and Mint from the same drive without issue, etc.).

One last twist...  I can install Windows from a USB stick.  When this is done the optical drive is detected, but will not ready any discs in Windows (but again, still works flawlessly from a boot with other products).

Any help or other ideas appreciated....

Thanks.

John

Attached Files

Thank You,

John Dubinsky
www.mavengroup.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Check out this blog. I believe your problem is because the Windows install DVD does not have the latest mass storage drivers. That's why the linux CD's worked. But, maybe this will not work as you said you can load windows from a USB and it installs.

• Windows 7 DVD Disc installer is corrupted
  • Windows 7 Downloaded ISO files is corrupted 
  • Latest Intel Chipset that Windows 7 that have no support yet
  • When the board has no UEFI setting in the BIOS Settings
  • Outdated Windows 7 Software Installer is too old for the new computer

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 January 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#3 mavengroup

mavengroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

Thanks for the reply JohnC_21.

I have considered that it could be a compatibility issue, but if the software did not support the chipset, the hard drive would not be detected (right?) since they are on the same controller bus.

Also, I have had the same issue when trying to use a Windows 8.1 media.  

The chipset is the Intel ICH8.... which is very common so I would guess support was built in.

This happens with several different media (burnt and retail - Win7 and 8) and only happens with the built-in drive (which I have swapped).  The same drive will install Linux distros without issue.  Just not any version of Windows. 

Also, if I install Windows via another means (i.e. USB stick, USB Optical Drive) the drive is then detected in Windows but will not work (read, etc.).  ALTHOUGH - the drive works fine in any of the Linux distros that I install - read, burn, etc.

I appreciate the help and would welcome any other suggestions.

Thank You,

John Dubinsky
www.mavengroup.net

#4 sbarber

sbarber

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

One possibility is you have different types of SATA ports on your motherboard and the Windows boot disc drivers does detect the SATA ports but it is using the incorrect drivers. If you haven't tried it, plug your SATA cable into different ports on the motherboard. Something similar happened to me with a USB install and the solution was that the drivers weren't there for the particular USB port I had the stick plugged in, even though it did boot from the port. Tried the lower speed USB ports and it went right past this error message.

#5 mavengroup

mavengroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

sbarber,

Thanks for the thought on this but unfortunately this is a laptop so I cannot change ports.

Any other thoughts?

Thank You,

John Dubinsky
www.mavengroup.net

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

If another SATA port is available on the motherboard, attach to that but I still think it is some kind of software issue as linux works fine.

Well, I just remembered that the DV is a laptop so that is not an option.

Edit: Maybe installing the Chipset INF update Utility will help

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 January 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#7 mavengroup

mavengroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:35 AM

So I tried a few more things.....

1. Going to try a Windows 7 32 bit install disc (just to see if I get the same error).  I don't think 64/32 would have any effect/affect on this issue but it is worth a shot.
Result: Same result with 32bit disc Widows 7

2. Burning a VISTA disc and going to try that just to see if it works.
Result: Same result with Vista ISO Disc

SUCCESS!!!  (Thanks to Macboatmaster - on tech support guy)
Also checked device manager again (upon suggestion) and have tried the drive in Windows with and without "enable DMA" selected for the device controller ATAPI.  On my fresh installation of Windows 7 Ultimate this had NO effect.  But I reinstalled the Intel ICH8 chipset drivers from the Intel site (SATA, etc. with the "/overall" command to prompt a full over right of everything) and now the drive is working great!!

This still does not totally explain why the machine will boot and run setup from a Windows disc, but not complete the Windows installation (I understand it is most likely a driver issue, but I am curious as to why MS would change the driver during the install - from boot to software install).  With that said I am closing this thread as I have had enough time spent on this old DV laptop.

Thanks to all who posted help.  Please let me know if any one needs more information to help with a similar issue or to clarify exactly what I did.

Thank You,

John Dubinsky
www.mavengroup.net

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

Hi

As part of my work, i had chance to install Windows 7 to more than 10 DV6 series computers ( as of today ) and never encountered the issue you faced. I suspect there might be a low level hardware issue with your laptop ( consider the machine is fully certified for Win Vista and that also showed same issue ). 

#9 mavengroup

mavengroup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:04 AM

Hi Anshad,

Definitely sounds like you are the DV series PRO and as you have confirmed, this really does not make any sense with your success with installation as proof.

I would definitely agree with you that "suspect there might be a low level hardware issue".  I must admit that I suspect this about all older HP DV Series laptops that come into my office.

If time were not so precious I would dig even further to try to figure out the boot issue with possibly slip streaming some drivers, etc. but at this point it is not worth it with the machine now functioning.

Thanks for the post.

Thank You,

John Dubinsky
www.mavengroup.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users