Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ReInstalling "old" DDR memory

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 balderdash

balderdash

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:33 AM

I had a Dell desktop, XP, some years ago.  It had DDR memory, less than 1 Gig as I recall.  I bought two 512MB DDR memory modules and tried to upgrade.  I rushed the job, not even sure I turned the computer off when I installed the memory, (don't know if it actually was on but I was in a hurry, extremely stupid if the machine was on).  I left to do something, when I came back the machine was fried.  End of computer.

Now, years later, I pick up another Dell desktop, an Optiplex 170L, with two 256MB modules installed.  Setup utility says it takes 1Gig memory, although the listing on a website says 2Gig is possible).  I would like to install the two 512MB modules in my new, (used), machine.

Questions:

1.Do I dare use these 512MB DDR modules again or is there a chance I  damaged them with the last fiasco, (or maybe they were no good and killed the old Dell). Would it be a good idea to use those 512MB modules?

2.The website listing said I can get 2 Gig RAM,  the setup utility says 1 Gig.  Would downloading the latest BIOS possibly increase the RAM to the higher number, 2 Gig?  Is such a thing possible?  I would prefer 2 Gig RAM and would be willing to buy more RAM if such is possible.  I'm planning to upgrade soon to Windows 7 32 bit which I know from my now deceased netbook works OK on 1 Gig RAM, but better on 2 Gig.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by balderdash, 27 January 2014 - 01:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

What model Dell do you have?  I have two 1g sticks that if compatible you have free just for cost of postage. 

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Per Crucial.com:  http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Dell-memory/OptiPlex/OptiPlex+170L+Series-upgrades.html .

Louis

#4 balderdash

balderdash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

Old Phil:  What a generous offer!  Thank you very much.

My model is Dell Optiplex 170L.  The memory that fits it is DDR, and is listed on the above website as PC2700, (non ECC) or PC3200, (non ECC).  Don't know what the ECC part means, but that's what listed on the website.

If you have the correct memory, how can I contact you?  That would be great.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

I have a couple of Kingston sticks, I will run you model on their site if it jives you have a boost coming your way.

Phil

P.S. They need more numbers, here is a link enter your numbers and post their recommendation.

http://www.eurosalesus.net/computer-memory-tool.php

Edited by OldPhil, 28 January 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#6 balderdash

balderdash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

I tried some numbers but they didn't work.  Not sure I used the right numbers in the right boxes.

I could open up the machine, but I thought since I had just run Belarc a few days ago I would make an  image and see which number you think should go in the Kingston website's box.  Like I said, I would be glad to open the thing up if the number is not available from this readout.  Clicking on the image makes it larger and more readable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Belarc_zps3cf11a90.jpg

Edited by balderdash, 29 January 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

Odd Kingston does not show any, Crucial does.  Later I will dig it out and post the Kingston part number maybe you can cross reference it.

#8 balderdash

balderdash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

Much thanks for your advice and effort.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

KTD4400/1G  2.5 volt DIMM 266 MHz (PC2100) 184 pin DDR SDRAM

Ball in your court!

Phil

#10 balderdash

balderdash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

Just to make sure, I'll give Kingston a call tomorrow.  However, I have a hunch that it might not be listed not because it's not OK, but because somehow it was left off some long-ago list and nobody corrected it.  The Kingston website seems to say it's alright for the Optiplex 160 and 210L models, but not the 170L.

Isn't 184 pin memory the same for everybody?

Amazon seems to think the Kingston 2700 version is OK-is it possible for the 2700 version to work and the 2100 version not to work?  I wouldn't think so.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-184-Pin-KTD4550-1G/dp/B00008XOKU

Edited by balderdash, 30 January 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#11 balderdash

balderdash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

I just got off the phone from Kingston.  They said the KTD4400/1G is not listed as being OK.  I asked why when they listed it for the 160 and 210L models, and she said that it was only 266MHZ and my system required 400MHZ.  I asked her if all that meant was that 400MHZ is the preferred, more desirable part but that 266MHZ will function, and she said that no, at 266MHZ  the system will not work.

Since RAM tends to get better over time, and I bought this thing used and some of the stuff left on the computer is from 2005, I have to question if the original RAM is 400MHZ, or if it was 266MHZ back then.

Does anybody know how to look that up?  Maybe I'll just open the thing and check out the part numbers of the 256MB ram modules in there-I wonder how fast they are.

I am extremely interested in Old Phil's generous offer, just want to check out that it's the right RAM-by "right" I mean will work decently.  I don't do anything intense with this machine.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Yes it must match the systems requirements, I'll poke around a little to see if any other stuff will work.  I do have quite few other sticks I have yet to look at, probably not 1g but will look.

#13 balderdash

balderdash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

I appreciate your effort and help, but you might want to hold off poking around more.  I've checked out the price of RAM on some outlets, and just a little while ago I Emailed a place to see if their sticks fit my machine.  If they do, I'll buy them, unless you've located two RAM DIMMs of 333 Hz or 400Hz, (the other outlets sell the 333MHz as a replacement, so I guess they're OK).

Again, I greatly appreciate your effort on my behalf, that was an extremely kind offer.

Edited by balderdash, 30 January 2014 - 11:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users