Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error message on start up - Operating System not found

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pwisdom

pwisdom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:33 AM

Hello all, am quite new here, please bear with me if I ask a question that has already been answered; and please direct me as appropriate if you can. Thank you.

My Samsung mini laptop ( netbook) , model: NP-N150, running on windows 7 starter, bring up the following message on booting. " operating system not found".

How do I have it restored to normal functions, since it has no CD ROM for me to run the recovery disk that came with it.

I am actually hopeful that there is a way out without loosing my documents and files on the system, how may I do this?

On entering the BIOS using F2, I can't find the HDD.

Any help on creating a recovery sticky disk(USB disk) to solve this problem so I can at least back up my files first before anything?

Thank you all, for making here a place to be.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

Hi,

I know I don't have all of the answers for you but the fact that the system isn't finding the HDD might indicate that the HDD has died. If this is the case then only a new HDD will return the computer to operational status. As for the files on that drive it may or may not be possible to recover some or all of them.

If you know a technician you trust I'd talk with that peron and see what sort of time and $$ are involved in replacing the HDD and recovering your data.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

I'm going to guess that you don't have the installation disc for your Windows 7 Starter?

Microsoft Community has a tutorial for downloading a ISO image which can be used to create bootable disc or flash drive.

You can find instructions for using the flash drive to do a Startup Repair at Window Support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 pwisdom

pwisdom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

Thank you all for your help. I followed the tutorials on this site and discovered that the HDD is the root of the malfunction, so am going to have it replaced. As for my files...
Can anyone help me with instructions on how to recover them?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

You can try using Ubuntu.

How to use Ubuntu to recover data from a hard drive.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

At HowToGeek there is a good tutorial for using Ubuntu to recover data from a hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

Hey dc3 for your information netbooks lack a CD/DVD reader (hence the smaller size), he'd actually need to run linux from a pendrive rather than a CD/DVD.

Unless of course, he has access to an external CD/DVD reader

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hey dc3 for your information netbooks lack a CD/DVD reader (hence the smaller size), he'd actually need to run linux from a pendrive rather than a CD/DVD.

I am well aware that netbooks don't have optical drives, my wife owns one, she also now owns an external optical drive.  What can I say, I had a brain fart.

#8 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

I am well aware that netbooks don't have optical drives, my wife owns one, she also now owns an external optical drive.  What can I say, I had a brain fart.

Happens to all of us, now let's just wait and see if pwisdom has acces to an external optical driver. If not, would you be kind enough to provide him with the instructions on putting ubuntu into a USB stick and making it bootable?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

There's a decent tutorial at the Ubuntu website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users