Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dreaded NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 billdoc

billdoc

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

Hey pc experts,

In trying to get an old laptop back to working order, I completed some changes and then restarted the system. The phoenix screen appeared and then a black screen with "NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart" . I restart and same black screen appears with that error msg again. After doing some research I found that the xp recovery disc is needed to repair or reinstall from scratch the os files. Now problem is that I do have the xp disc anymore. What is the best possible way of getting this disc?......my friends all run windows 7  or later . So what to do . This is such a shame as I spent several hundred dollars on getting this old sony vaio laptop back to working order. I believe all hell broke loose when I installed Pro Mechanic and it must have deleted some files .

what do you guys recommend and is only possible solution to purchase the xp recovery disc and wait for delivery.

thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

Hi

An NTLDR is missing error can be caused by two reasons. Either the system is trying to boot from a wrong device/wrong partition or the file might be actually missing. Please try the below steps.

1. If there are any USB flash drive or Memory card is plugged in to the system, please remove them all. Otherwise system may try to boot from it and shows the missing NTLDR error.

2. If the file is actually missing, you need to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM to the root of C partition. This can be done from a live CD ( either Linux Based or Windows based ). To do this, download and burn a copy of Puppy Linux from the below link ( only 132 MB in size).  

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.2.8/lupu-528.005.iso

Boot from the disc and make sure you can access the partitions and identify the "C" drive. It will be the one with "Windows" and Documents and Settings" folders. Then please post a reply here.

#3 billdoc

billdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hey Anshad ,

Thanks for getting back to me. Ok, so I downloaded the a copy of Puppy Linux to my desktop. Then unzipped the files and copied all to a live cd. I inserted the newly burned cd into the cd drive of the ailing laptop. The system power is on and the black screen with the error "NTLDR is missing. Press ctrl + alt + del to restart " still shows. I pressed ctrl + alt + del . The system restarts and the initial phoenix and intel screen appears . The cd sounds like it is working . Next the black screen with the same error msg as before remains. Nothing else happens after that. There is no progress after the black screen.

Now let me ask you . In the list of unzipped files from the link you provided , do I need to burn them all to the cd?. There are several outlook files on there as well as a large SFS file.

Hope this helps you ,

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

To boot from the optical drive and run Puppy Linux....you need to enter the BIOS and change the first boot option from "hard drive" to "optical drive/CD-ROM/DVD".  Otherwise, the system tries to boot from the hard drive, which gets you nowhere :).

Louis

#5 billdoc

billdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Qst is how do you get into there to completed that function. As is, the system is not moving anywhere after the black screen with the "NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart" text . That is the only info on the same screen. I press restart and get the initial phoenix /intel screen and then next comes the black screen with the "NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart" with a blinking cursor beneath the text. It appears that pressing ctrl + alt + del to restart just arrives back at the above mentioned black screen . Almost like a loop that goes nowhere.

#6 billdoc

billdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

Ok, so I restarted the system and pressed the F2 button really fast when the first screen appeared. I am now in the BIOS setup utility screen . Tabbed to boot and selected first option "optical drive" pressed F10 to save configuration and system restarted . Same black screen with ""NTLDR is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

text reappears. Nothing happens afterwards. I wonder is it possible that cd drive may not be working correctly?. This is an older Sony laptop and I really have not checked to see if the cd drive is working prior to the present issue with startup. Would it be possible to select Network in boot option to bypass the cd drive .....or can we use the usb flash to get around it ?

I will be interested to see if we can get this issue fixed. If it cant be solved here . I really don't think it can be fixed anywhere else. Save a 100 buck trip to my pc tech, which I really hope is not necessary.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

If...you have made the bootable CD/DVD properly...and have changed the boot order in the BIOS...there is no way that the this particular error message should come up, since the presence of the hard drive is a non-factor for booting.  The Windows boot files aren't being used when the optical drive boots...your errror message relates strictly to Windows files.

Louis

#8 billdoc

billdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Louis,

I followed instructions from member Anshad from first reply to thread. I downloaded the link he gave me. Unzipped all the files and then burned them to disc. Next inserted the disc into "broken" laptop.

1. Do I have to burn all files to the cd ?...the only files on this cd are the unzipped files from the downloaded link Anshad provided to me. The attached image will show the files and in sequential order:

Attached File  Doc1.doc   87KB   17 downloads

2. When disc is inserted and system restarted, should the system just read from the cd and know what it's doing i.e. it will know what to do with my intervention.

3. How would I know for sure if there is not a fault with the cd reader, other than listening to it start and sound like it is working smoothly and then after a few seconds stop and the infamous black screen with the NTLDR file is missing press ctrl alt del to restart shows up and stays there. ...................

This is getting interesting ........and a very good learning experience .

Edited by hamluis, 27 January 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

I don't use linux...but LInk here seems to indicate that the downloaded file should be an .iso...which has to be burned to disk using a program designed to burn .iso files onto CD/DVD as bootable disks.

I get no results with the link provided by Anshad...I suggest you follow the link I have just provided.

Louis

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

I downloaded the link he gave me. Unzipped all the files and then burned them to disc

What you are downloading is a disc image in the format ISO , not a zip file. You shouldn't unzip and burn it. What you need is to use the burn "Image to Disc" option in the CD writing programs. To avoid confusion, please use ImgBurn.

Imgburn download - http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe

How to burn an ISO to CD - 

#11 billdoc

billdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:56 AM

Guys,

Well I followed all the instructions and have to say there is now life in the old laptop. The puppy Linux proves that my dvd drive works and will accept installation discs. What a relief.  As much as Linux puppy is cute and cuddly I do miss my windows . If we can install Linux puppy like now, can we follow the same route and get windows back up and running. Even a fresh install would be nice. Does anybody know how to get that done. If you can I would be ever so grateful

Hamluis, good analysis and troubleshooting to get the ailing system running again . All we need now is to get my windows back .

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

Hi

Have you able to identify the Windows partition from Puppy Linux ?. You will see folders "Windows" and "Documents and settings" on it. Once you identified it, please check and report whether you can see the files NTLDR , NTDETECT.COM , BOOT.INI on the root of "C" drive.

#13 billdoc

billdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

Linux is like a whole different world to me compared to windows. How do I locate the NTLDR , NTDETECT.COM , BOOT.INI on the root of C drive ?

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:51 AM

Hi

For first time users Linux will be a little difficult. Instead of letters C ,D etc used by Windows, Puppy uses sda1 , sda2 ,sdb1 etc to name partitions.Below image is an example from a system with only one partition. As you can see, the partition is assigned with the name sda1. Click on it and the drive will be open and you can browse the contents.

puppy.png 

#15 billdoc

billdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Thanks guys for all your help. I learned so much along the way as well. Now as much as Linux is functional and practical, given my issues with windows xp , I think I will go ahead and locate a xp installation disc from a retailer and get the laptop back working with windows.

mucho appreciation again to Anshad and Hamluis !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users