Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who wants to through a bad guy in jail? Detective needs help w DVR HD.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stryknaccord

Stryknaccord

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

I have a detective friend of mine that needs to see video files on an old 160gb IDE HD for a case hes working. The DVR it was in is toast and wont work so i removed it and put it in an external drive case and connected to it via USB. The drive does not have an assigned drive letter so explorer cant see it. Disk manager can see it in four partitions but the only option i can do to it is delete it and i cant do that. I installed Knoppix 7.0 and thought the linux system could see it and do stuff with it and it could. It only saw 2 partitions and showed some system files in one and no files in the other. The 2 partitions it saw were 34MB and 2.1GB. with the system files in the 34MB partiton. There is a 150+GB missing and i need to access and copy them. Any suggestions anyone? If someone is very knowledgable ill PM my phone number as i would like to solve this soon. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:06 AM

try TestDisk... it can fix many partition errors and recover data pretty well, as long as the disk error is not physical.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

Hi

Most DVR  uses proprietary  file systems (not FAT , NTFS or Linux Ext4 ). Some good ones also employs disk encryption for additional protection. You won't be able to access the files via Windows. I would recommend contacting the customer support of the DVR manufacturer. If anyone can help you, it will be only them. 

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

To add what BC stated, the majority of the DVR systems out there for security cameras, run on a Linux OS based system.  Suggest that your "Detective" friend use the proper channels.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

It might be worth trying to find the same dvr (used on ebay) that works. I have had this work 1 time (the only time I dealt with a dvr). I tried every method of recovery from windows and linux to no avail. I finally ordered a used dvr the same model and was able to recover this way. As long as the hard drive is ok, we did run mhdd to check that first before spending the money on the used dvr.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

I have a detective friend of mine that needs to see video files on an old 160gb IDE HD for a case hes working. The DVR it was in is toast and wont work so i removed it and put it in an external drive case and connected to it via USB. The drive does not have an assigned drive letter so explorer cant see it. Disk manager can see it in four partitions but the only option i can do to it is delete it and i cant do that. I installed Knoppix 7.0 and thought the linux system could see it and do stuff with it and it could. It only saw 2 partitions and showed some system files in one and no files in the other. The 2 partitions it saw were 34MB and 2.1GB. with the system files in the 34MB partiton. There is a 150+GB missing and i need to access and copy them. Any suggestions anyone? If someone is very knowledgable ill PM my phone number as i would like to solve this soon. Thanks in advance!

I am just throwing this out there that the DVR may have had a proprietary format of files or partition. If that is the case A litlte more reaserch on model make of the DVR might give some insight on that.

There is a whole slew of software obviously on the market for HD recovery. One that comes to mind is ISObuster. I use it myself. Anyone doing this a lot ought to add it to their arsenal of tools. It can handle anything you throw at it. It can read and rip raw data even things like a boot.img or a bios or something of that nature that you typically wouldn't see otherwise or have access to. A trial probably would be more than likely limited, but it would give you an idea if it can do what you need it to before purchasing it. http://www.isobuster.com/isobuster.php

Edited by technonymous, 27 January 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Just putting this out there.

In most almost all US states a 'civilian' doing forensic work would render anything found on that drive inadmissible in court. A good defense lawyer will invalidate anything you do. I would suggest that your detective friend use proper law enforcement/legal channels to perform their forensic work.

Otherwise your suggestion that we can assist in throwing a bad guy in jail isn't going to happen.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Stryknaccord

Stryknaccord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Thanks all. I have tried to find another DVR to use as a wicked expensive reader but im unable to locate one. I will try test disk after I have a look using ubuntu. The manufacture is ADT and the unit was made by tyco. Only problem is its over 8 years old and thier customer support was a little lacking in this matter but in fairness this probably isnt an everyday question although it cant be the first time they were asked about this. One girl directed me to their RasPlus software which is supposed to see the data and extract it using winzip or some other method and be able to view and convert the data. Im hopeful but the software version and the age of this DVR make me nervous... Our dept down here is fairly small and this crime isnt terribly large and only involves fraud and property losses so its not like a violent person will be running around. Still id like to help nab this bugger. Thanks for the help, any other ifeas are welcome. Ill post an update if and when this resolves itself.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:56 AM

Just putting this out there.

In most almost all US states a 'civilian' doing forensic work would render anything found on that drive inadmissible in court. A good defense lawyer will invalidate anything you do. I would suggest that your detective friend use proper law enforcement/legal channels to perform their forensic work.

Otherwise your suggestion that we can assist in throwing a bad guy in jail isn't going to happen.

Yes valid point. The evidence should be in the hands of the police, then they can be the ones to seek outside professionals if needed. Kind of reminds me of the police getting hit with cryptolocker. LOL :hysterical:

#10 Stryknaccord

Stryknaccord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Civilians do work for the police regularly. Chain of custody for evidence is being maintained, If the drive is in the room with me, then a detective is in the room with me, Works out nice that one of the afore mentioned detective is my wife. Lead detective signed the evidence over to her for this purpose. This started out as simple plug and play that simply requires correct software to download and view content. Nothing is being processed or manipulated, and a meticulous log of events is being kept. Besides my credentials in this matter would more than qualify me for this task. 

#11 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

There is Amped DVRx http://ampedsoftware.com/dvrx  Case study on a case involving child abuse, and the software they used for Forensic recovery http://msis.mgmt.umb.edu/forensics/articles/Case%20study%20-%20Forensic%20analysis%20of%20a%20Samsung%20digital.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users