Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited Connection/Windows 8.1/Atheros AR9485

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tburns517

tburns517

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:20 PM

My computer was purchased a month ago, and the connection has been working flawlessly up until yesterday. It shows that I have a limited connection. I have an HP desktop with internal wireless (Atheros AR9485), running Windows 8.1. The router, a Netgear WNR3500v2, is located on another level of the house, but all other wireless devices in the house work fine, which include my laptop that I am currently using right next to my desktop. I have updated the firmware on the router and the driver for the AR9485 and I still have a limited connection. The settings on the router were not messed with at all, so I am at a loss as to why this randomly became an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

The 3500 is notorious of causing that.  Try a ipconfig /flushdns and a netsh winsock reset catalog in that order, in a Command window as administrator from the desktop.  Press and hold the Windows key, then press the X key to get the right context menu, then left click on the "Command Prompt (admin)" to open the command window, to enter those commands I listed.

After done, then do a reboot of the computer.  It also would not hurt to do a power cycle of the modem & router.

#3 tburns517

tburns517
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

The 3500 is notorious of causing that.  Try a ipconfig /flushdns and a netsh winsock reset catalog in that order, in a Command window as administrator from the desktop.  Press and hold the Windows key, then press the X key to get the right context menu, then left click on the "Command Prompt (admin)" to open the command window, to enter those commands I listed.

After done, then do a reboot of the computer.  It also would not hurt to do a power cycle of the modem & router.

Thanks for the reply. I have done a power cycle of the modem and router multiple times with no luck, and I also tried your suggestions in the command prompt with no luck either. Any other suggestions?

#4 tburns517

tburns517
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

A system restore did the trick. I feel the driver may have been the issue on this one, but I did not update any drivers, which I find odd. Maybe it slipped through somehow?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

Ok, why would you mess with the router and modem if everything else works including a laptop right next to the desktop you are having the issue? You could have removed the wireless card from Device manager and rebooted. It would have re-installed the drivers. It may have fixed it. Sometimes drivers just get a little wonky, I don't know why but it happens.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 tburns517

tburns517
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

I guess I haven't fixed the issue. Now the whole wireless connection drops, and every device is affected. I'm pretty much giving up and going to get Comcast out here to fix the issue. I have to unplug the modem and router to get the internet to work for maybe 10-15 minutes before it drops again.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

That is most likely a Wireless Router or Wireless Access Point issue.  What is the manufacturer & model# of the Wifi router or A/P that you are trying to connect to.  If in your home, how far are you from it, also how many other A/P's do you see come up, when you left click on the wireless icon in the Task area?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users