Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Max Number Of Physical Disks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gswiss

Gswiss

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:11 PM

I have an Asus P4P800 Deluxe MotherBoard on which are connected two dvd burners on one IDE channel and two IDE disks on the other IDE channel. I have two additional IDE disks connected to a Promise Ultra Storage Controller Card (it's too late that I discovered that I could have used the RAID controllers).

When I connected temporarily a SATA disk on the MB plug, my two optical readers were not recognised any more. Does this mean that the MB will only accommodate a maximum of 6 physical disks?

I am running under Intel P4 with w2k-sp4 and xp home sp1 dual boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

Did you configure S-ATA in the bios?
If you don't, the port is treated as an IDE port instead, which is probably why your optical drives disappear. :thumbsup:
Win2k "may" have a problem seeing the S-ATA drive so boot to XP to have the first look.
I believe that board natively handles at least 6 physical drives, maybe 8. (plus whatever is on the controller card).

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

If you are still having trouble you could also get a couple of hard drive usb/firewire enclosures for about 50$CAD each.

#4 Gswiss

Gswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:10 PM

Did you configure S-ATA in the bios?
If you don't, the port is treated as an IDE port instead, which is probably why your optical drives disappear. :thumbsup:
Win2k "may" have a problem seeing the S-ATA drive so boot to XP to have the first look.
I believe that board natively handles at least 6 physical drives, maybe 8. (plus whatever is on the controller card).

i configured bios properly. i was running p-ata only which i changed to p-ata and s-ata. 2ary channel optical readers were ignored as soon as i connected the s-ata disk

#5 Gswiss

Gswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:11 PM

If you are still having trouble you could also get a couple of hard drive usb/firewire enclosures for about 50$CAD each.

i wanted to avoid that. i will probably replace my current disks with larger capacity ones. less cumbersome.

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:29 PM

That is also a good idea... I have seen 300GB drives for 100 bucks...

Here is a link, it comes with a drive enclosure but you could just sell that on ebay or keep it if you want to use it for another drive or something...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...RCCODE=CANEM557

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:59 PM

Staples has the Western Digital 300GB Internal EIDE/Ultra ATA Hard Drive on sale for $89.99 with their coupon which saves you $70.00. See the details at the link below.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...cmArea=HOMEPAGE

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:48 AM

And if there is a mail-in rebate mail it in... it actually comes...

And with staples you can "mail it in" over the net so it get's here withing 3 weeks like mine did.

#9 Gswiss

Gswiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for the tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users