Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is possible to repair a bad laptop HDD??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ICE334

ICE334

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Ive noticed some people selling refurbished HDDs on the internet, is it possible to refurbished a bad HDD back to working order?? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

Short answer - No !

If a hard drive has faulty sectors on it, running either 'chkdsk /r' or some of the manufacturer's may repair these sectors, or may not, but faulty sectors are often an indicator of impending problems, and major problems are not cost-effective to repair.

New HDDs cannot be considered expensive - my local component supplier's most expensive laptop HDD costs £UK 68 for a 1Tb drive. It will be cheaper buying second hand, but you are buying somebody else's troubles and you have no idea of the likely life of the component. The only time I would use a second hand HDD is if I had taken it out of a scrapped equipment myself and knew somethinng about it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

I will offer no money for any used/refurbished/broke once already hard drive.  If I can't return it if it doesn't work, I will consider it a gift.  When offered as a request to try and recover whatever is on the drive (maybe broken, maybe not), age is a big consideration.  I have many drives as donated units and control cards can be swapped.  If it is a little newer, maybe a like unit is still for sale and can be used as a donor for the control card.  Either that and a clean room to swap platters to a known good unit and some software  pixie dust, might recover all that's viable.  Replacement will be far cheaper than repair if the data is not a concern.  Running check disk can only go so far and may reveal the underlying cause for the initial failure.  i have a number of manufacturers hard drive install/diagnostic disks and they can be used on most drive types out there.  They will search for any bad sectors in the drives track log and give a history if any.  The complete test is only to be done on new drives or after the data is removed as the test uses walking ones and walking zeros through the entire disk surface.  This will identify things mighty quick.  Once that has identified all the bad areas, a new track log can be created and the usable space remaining can become viable again.  The failure of up to four individual tracks is not serious but must be watched as any increase means a failure of more in the future.  If those four tracks are all together, that spells a breakdown.  In the early days, up to twenty four tracks would be marked by the mfgr and that was less than one half a percent overall.  As the drive mfgrs increased drive sizes faster than the hardware and software could address the entire space.  They caught up pretty quick with the huge terabyte drives on the market now.

Edited by mjd420nova, 26 January 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

Well...refurbished hard drives happen...but such are provided by (I Suspect) shops that have contracted with certain agencies to procure hard drives which have been returned or reclaimed, whichever.  I''m not sure if "manufacturer's refurb" hard drives are actually repaired by the drive manufacturers...but the fact that the warranty period for a refurbished hard drive...is less than that of a new drive...leads me to not believe that any damaged/returned hard drive could ever be returned to "like new" condition.

IMO, it makes no sense at all to consider purchasing a refurbished hard drive with a very limited warranty..versus a new hard drive with larger capacity, more speed, comparable price (if new is not cheaper) and a 3-year warranty.

Louis

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

Not to mention the limited (unknown) lifespan of a used drive...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users