Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dummy can't get it right!!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

I bought an Asus had issues got ticked of and traded it for a NETGEAR 7000, I admit I must be dense I keep running into the same issue.  I go through the setup all seems fine, I attempt to finish the setup on the NG site an Applet comes up asking for user and password.  I enter stuff printed on the tag hit enter and the applet comes back with empty lines so I try several variations, I try to get onto the NG site the same applet pops up so I get on to find help.  I need to be able to communicate with them to get things strait, I have given up for the time being need a break.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

See if you can register your product first and then contact them by phone

http://www.NETGEAR.com/register Registration is required before you can use the telephone support service

Phone (US & Canada only): 1-888-NETGEAR

My son went through some issues with his ISP provider with a Netgear wireless router they recommended

--- It took his ISP provider 2 weeks getting nowhere

--- He finally called Netgear himself and was all set in about 20 minutes

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

See my reply to you in the other thread.  As for the setup, I am guessing you installed some type of software that came on a CD that came with the router.  You do not need to install any software to use the router.  You just need to power all equipment on the Network down, including the modem, then power up in this order:  1) Modem - wait for it to sync with ISP.  2) Router - wait for it to sync with modem.  3) A computer connected to the router with a Cat-5e or Cat-6 Ethernet cable, so that you can go to the main page for the router (Usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254, etc).  Username will usually be admin, password also admin (may be a capital A).

Once you get logged into the router through your web browser, then you can check DHCP, to make sure it grabbed the info from the modem (ISP assigned Public IP, DNS servers).  Then you can go through and adjust your settings for the LAN, SSID, Passphrase (Use Wireless-N/AC 2.4/5ghz, 20_40mhz bands, WPA(TKIP)/WPA2(AES) or it may only use WPA2(AES) for Wireless-N/AC.

Then after you go through setting everything, reboot the router, and it should start up and start sending the SSID out.  Then you should be able to connect to it through WiFi.

Edited by Greg62702, 26 January 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

great stuff too burned for today have a bunch to do tomorrow, I got my old router up to cover for now will dig into this as free time permits.

Thanks Phil

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Any time Phil.  I found the app you are talking about.  http://netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx#tab-genieapp  Yes, those never work.  I have the Nest Protects in my home, and the iPhone app never works in setting them up, but the Android app on my Google Nexus 7 tablet always does.  I had to actually use the Trendnet app for my inside IP camera yesterday when I was setting up my new router.  Could not find the device in the DHCP Client table or ARP list, so had to use that software and the foscam software, to find the IP's for those three cameras, so I could go in and change them over to work with the new router.

Spent actually the majority of the day getting things worked out.  After I got it working, it has been stable ever since.  There are times though that you just need to step back and go do something else, when you hit these roadblocks.

If you did not download the manual, this is the link to it.  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_IG_6pCvr+Interior_19Nov2013.pdf  I do like that you can connect a USB drive like a Toshiba Canvio to the USB port, or a non-network capable printer.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

On my old faithful Linksys!  I could not register as I could not access the site, if I can't register I can't talk to a tech "catch 22"!  Got all these extra features that I would like to get at!  I am sure once ironed out I will be some happy :thumbup2:

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Gregg has already provided excellent instructions and information

But if you still have issues and cannot register, call customer support anyway and tell them you are trying to register your product and explain what's going on. As I mentioned above, my son wasn't getting anywhere even with his ISP's support. He didn't even know he was supposed to register his product but when he got in touch with customer support evrything carried forward just fine

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Am thankful for the assistance, absorbing and will be doing a by the numbers thing.

Phil

#9 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Gregg has already provided excellent instructions and information

But if you still have issues and cannot register, call customer support anyway and tell them you are trying to register your product and explain what's going on. As I mentioned above, my son wasn't getting anywhere even with his ISP's support. He didn't even know he was supposed to register his product but when he got in touch with customer support evrything carried forward just fine

You should not have to register the product to get it operating or to even call tech support.  I will tell you that just like our ISP's, the Netgear support is also overseas.  I know Netgear's forum is not the best, but if last resort, dig through the Netgear forum, to see if anyone has stated any problems about that router.  I will tell you that I got so tired of getting bad Netgear products, that I stopped buying them.

I have gotten to the point that I only use Trendnet A/P's and one Trendnet switch.  The other is a Netgear GS-108.  I do have a Netgear WN802T-200 A/P and do not really like it.  It has a nasty habit of going offline every week, due to the lease from the old 2-wire RG that I had.  I am hoping the same will not be with the TP-LInk R-600VPN router that I have now.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

Fortunately having trouble with Netgear products has not been my experience. I have a 2 Netgear wireless products, my sister uses Netgear, my cousin does and at the non-profit organization I volunteer at they use Netgear and I could continue with even more

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

Ok up and running, took about 10 minutes today.  I do not see a major improvement so far, will see how it does on the lap tops watching TV.  Had a fair amount of buffering with the TV and music site Shoutcast would get choppy at times, a little time will tell.

Now my next issue will be getting my tower off the wire, need to figure out how to dump the cable connection so I can setup wireless.

want to compact things and dump some wires.

Phil

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

It has been about an hour, two lap tops up one with TV an internet running the other with music so far not one hiccup.  This will please my other half immensely, also keeps me off the hook for buying the new router.  Did speed check only about 1/2 meg better, probably caused by cable bottle neck.

Phil

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

to get your desktop wireless you just need an adapter. Newegg or TigerDirect are great places to get them. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for one including shipping. 

Oh and stop calling yourself dumb, no one was born knowing this stuff. We all learned just like you are, by doing. =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 27 January 2014 - 03:56 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:59 PM

Nice and I agree with CaveDweller2.

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

to get your desktop wireless you just need an adapter. Newegg or TigerDirect are great places to get them. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for one including shipping. 

Oh and stop calling yourself dumb, no one was born knowing this stuff. We all learned just like you are, by doing. =)

My board has both wireless and blue tooth, just need to clear the path to wireless.

Phil

P.S. a tad smarter but I will forget it all all to soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users