Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applied SVCHOST fix for Windows XP (Jan. 14th) but CPU still pegs at 100% usage

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paul's Dell

Paul's Dell

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

I just started having this problem with the CPU going to 100% usage about a month ago and poked around the internet for solutions. I was as happy as anyone when Microsoft announced the recent security update that touted a fix for the Windows XP resource-hog problem associated with the system's SVCHOST.EXE processes. Only... applying the fix didn't work for me.

Here's the hardware: Dell Vostro 1510 Intel Core2 Duo CPU with 3GB RAM

Here's the operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3

Here's what I've done to solve the problem thus far:

• Turned off Automatic Updates
  • Scanned for viruses with McAfee Total Protection Service version 5.0.0 Patch 5
  • Ran Full Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
  • Ran Piriform CCleaner v4.09.4471
  • Reinstalled Internet Explorer 8
  • Based on the bulletin MS13-097/KB 2898785 Windows XP SP3 Internet Explorer 8 I downloaded and manually applied the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer Windows (dated Jan. 14, 2014 - XP-KB2914368-x86-ENU.exe)
  • Physically disconnected from the network (and thus the internet) by disabling the Wireless Network Connection

My biggest surprise was that last one -- I thought surely it will stop seeking updates and pegging my CPU at 100% usage when it realizes there is no internet connection. Nope.

I'm really at a loss for what to do next. After reading so many success stories after this latest update from Microsoft was released, I thought my problem would finally be solved.

Is there any other trick I should be trying to fix this issue once and for all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#3 Paul's Dell

Paul's Dell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CN8sFG8wYLwFYWy74ZQQFLq

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Please download and run McAfee Removal Tool and see if the issue is still present. The firewall could be blocking access, or McAfee has become corrupt.

#5 Paul's Dell

Paul's Dell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I removed, then reinstalled McAfee, and the CPU usage has dropped significantly. I tried a few things that tended to spike the CPU usage to !00% and it's not happening now. I will continue to monitor... thank you for your assistance!

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

In all honesty, unless you have recently renewed I would get rid of McAfee, and stick to something like Avast or AVG.

#7 Paul's Dell

Paul's Dell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

I'll take that advice, too! When McAfee was removed my usage was in the teens and 20's % range, but after I reinstalled it, I wasn't thrilled to see the usage nearly triple. Unfortunately, my automatic renewal of McAfee kicked in 12/24 so I guess I'll hold on to it for awhile...

Edited by Paul's Dell, 26 January 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:58 AM

For the SVHOST 99% I get mixed results on different systems IE...Laptop, Desktop, XP VM. So how it works is you turn off Windows update. Then download and install Microsoft IE 8 and try each one of these till updates works again. Probably also do reboot before trying the update to be sure.

KB927891

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6458

KB2870699

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40119

KB2898785

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41404

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users