Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Protect

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JusSumguy

JusSumguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

New member, long time lurker.

I searched the forum, and I couldn't find any direct solutions for this.

Somehow I got "Search Protect" on my computer. It doesn't show up in any uninstaller. Nor in the startup items. SuperAntiSpyware sees it and uninstalls it, but on reboot, it reinstalls itself. It's a browser extension, but it doesn't show up in the extensions folder. It actually reinstalls itself without a restart after a cuppla hours. Is there a way to dump this crap?

Firefox Aurora, Win7, e-machines tower.

Thanx in advance, and thank God for this forum.

-

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2014 - 02:40 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

I found you can uninstall it just like any other program through add/remove. Go to start type in appwiz.cpl search for it in there. If it won't uninstall then you have to first disable it's service in services.cpl Once you locate it in there stop the service (may take time for it to stop) after that you can now go back to appwiz.cpl and uninstall. Also check that the addon is removed from firefox. This link has pics basically showing the steps...http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Conduit-Search-Protect Like I said they make it difficult to opt out of these things.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

Yes, remove it thru Control Panel and in your browsers add ons.

Then you can run these.

ADW Cleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin to scan your computer like it did before.
  • After the scan has finished...
    <-insert any special instructions here for what to uncheck OR remove this line if there are none->
  • This time click on the Clean button.
  • Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
  • Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) will open automatically (where the largest value of # represents the most recent report).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.

thisisujrt.gif Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 JusSumguy

JusSumguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Thank you very much.

I'll get right on it.  :thumbup2:

-

#5 Bijzonders

Bijzonders

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

I am from Amsterdam, most of our websites (http://cookieverwijderen.nl/hijackers/searchprotect) recommend spyhunter. Is it ok to try it?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hello if you are trying to remove search Protect

I'd suggest the two tools in post 3.

When users uninstall Conduit SearchProtect from Add or Remove Programs in Windows XP, they find on reboot that Windows XP is no longer able to start. Instead they will be greeted with a message stating "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".
So if you have XP do uninstall it from Add or Remove Programs.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users