Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Part way through system restore, now its stopped

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris842

Chris842

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hi. I have a fairly new laptop (but I bought it second hand) and it appeared to have malware that I couldn't remove. As it was quite new and I didn't yet have a load of files id want to keep, I decided to do a system restore / factory reset.

It came with 5 "pc world know how" recovery disks. I. was going through them, putting in the next disk when it asked. After putting in disk 4, it appears unable to read the disk and has been frozen on 59 percent progress for over an hour and a noise coming from the disk drive. Pressing ejecton the disk drive does nothing.

What can I do about this? I'm very worried as the disk drive won't open... Have I just ruined the laptop for good? Please help! :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

What is the model number of the lap top, and can you take a picture of the cd-rom drive bay?

#3 Chris842

Chris842
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Its a HP Pavillion G6. Here is the listing on eBay (from when i bought it)which has a photo of the whole laptop. Can't take a pic of the drive now but can try to get one posted tomorrow.

#4 Chris842

Chris842
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Forgot to post the link. Here it is
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=121230586635&cmd=VIDESC

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

Look for a small pin hole sized hole on the cd-rom tray and see if you have one. You can use a paperclip to eject the CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users