Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Cable Speed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Al_graze

Al_graze

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:08 PM

Hey guys!

My brother just bought himself a new PC and I am helping him get everything ready for use. I already installed all the software (Office and AVG Free / NVIDIA Firewall already installed) + anti- malware programs (Ccleaner, Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, Microsoft Windows Defender and Spyware Blaster) and updated all the drivers.

Here are the specs:

* Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (completely updated)
* AMD Athlon 64, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 3000+
* Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4, AMD Hammer
* System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
* Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

The PC connects to the internet via a Motorola SB5100 SURFboard Cable Modem (ISP: Amnet / amnet.co.cr) with an advertised speed of 512/128kbps. I already followed the suggested settings in Optimizing & Measuring the "Speed" of Internet Connection (ezlan.net) and dowloaded TCPOptimizer to maximize the connection's potential... however TCPOptmizer and CableNut (which I later installed) both failed to raise the Tcp RWIN value of 64240. I have used all the speed tests available and they all fell under the 256 to 375kbps range.

I have used these two programs before and succesfully optmized the connection for MY 'puter (Windows XP Professional with SP2, Intel Pentium III with 512 MB of RAM) using the exact same Motorola Cable Modem, and the same ISP with identical advertised speed of 512/128kbps, and I always get speeds of 500kbps! (If anything, his computer should at least match my speed!)

AMD Athlon 64 cable speed: Broadband Test

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:42 AM

Don't use the nVidia firewall you get with the nForce4, don't even install it or enable it. It is buggy as hell and can cause no end of trouble. They've been working to fix 'em but I wouldn't trust it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Al_graze

Al_graze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

There's only one small problem: since this hardware firewall is integrated directly with the device driver that controls the PC networking connection I don't know if disabling it would screw up the network. (My brother had already installed it before I got a chance to look over it)

Most PC firewalls are software-based add-ons, but nVIDIA Firewall is the industry’s first true hardware-based PC firewall. And nVIDIA’s ActiveArmor secure networking solution, which consists of nVIDIA Firewall and the ActiveArmor engine, improves overall network security.

Side Note: I always thought that you could have two firewalls running just as long as one was hardware and the other software (not two software firewalls running, though ), dunno, but I may be wrong. The question is, is this nVIDIA firewall (dubbed ActiveArmor) solely a hardware firewall, or is it a hardware and software firewall???

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:28 PM

Well, nVidia has been working on it for some time now, so it might not be as bad as it was when I installed it, although I'm far from the only one who has had problems with it affecting the network connection.

As for software/hardware the nVidia firewall is supposed to have the best of both worlds, which sounds interesting, with the control of software firewalls and performance of hardware firewalls. What it actually does I'm not sure, the documentation was horrible and I got rid of it before I got a chance to familiarize myself with it's ins and outs. It is very possible that it doesn't play nice with other software firewalls though.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Al_graze

Al_graze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:01 AM

:D :D :D

The nVIDIA Hardware Firewall was definitely the culprit... disabled it and installed ZoneAlarm Pro and we're getting somewhat decent speeds now.... Thanks again, for all your help Mr. Alpha...

Take Care!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users