Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random BSOD's

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Callump01

Callump01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Hello, so this has been driving me insane recently so I've decided to do something about it.

I suspect hardware issues but I really don't want to have to memtest every single one of my slots, because that's a massive inconvenience but I'll have to do it if that is what needs to be done.

Crashes seem to be getting more and more frequent, my memory in Windows says 3.99GB available when there should be 8.00GB unless I completely unplug the computer, wait 60 seconds, plug it back in and come back on, but if I do that then a BSOD will appear about an hour afterwards leading me to think it's a RAM issue. Boot options are all correct and whatnot.

Here's all the jargon you guys need to assist me:

CPU-Z Report: http://pastebin.com/fhGLz91Z

Minidump Location: https://mega.co.nz/#!9ZtXwDSS!ZH8Xj7T9-SaXLH-yaLO75A6f0hUPGl-4emZ9bw3P1Qk

Full 750mb dump can be uploaded upon request, fiber optic upload speeds mean it'll take me just a few minutes.

Edited by Callump01, 26 January 2014 - 01:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hi Calluump01, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I realize that you have put some effort into producing the CPU-Z and Minidump files links, but the CPU-Z doesn't provide some of the information which I would like to see, and the Minidump is a download.  I will not download anything to my computer if I don't know exactly what it contains.  For this reason please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Callump01

Callump01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hi, thanks for the super fast reply - apologies for my slow one.

Please note that I restarted my computer before this, so that I had the full 8.00GB RAM (and I will probably BSOD in a few moments as I type this as usually my system is unstable on 8.00GB RAM).

Mini Toolbox Results: http://pastebin.com/8PyaYL7m

Speccy Snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Dqqj8PcY4hynzTYWghSQVSb

Thanks, hope this helps!

Edited by Callump01, 27 January 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

With memtest86: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

You can limit the amount of testing you need to do with memtest86. This is how the report works: if an error occurs at block x at 356MB and you had 2 1GB sticks of ram you would assume that it happened on the first stick dimm0 or dimmA. If it occurred at 1345MB, then it would likely be dimm1 or dimmB depending on how it is on the motherboard.

When you have a known good stick of ram, no errors after 3 passes, then you can test that stick in all the dimms to rule out motherboard problem. With ram errors there really is no way around this...

Edited by zingo156, 27 January 2014 - 01:44 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Here is an image for example: http://i.stack.imgur.com/slJW2.jpg That computer looks like it has 1 single stick of 4gb ram which obviously means that stick is bad or the motherboard is bad or that dimm is bad.

If however you had 2 sticks of 1GB  ram and only 2 dimms total on the motherboard then the error occurring at 1984MB would indicate it is coming from the second dimm due to the ram size. You will need to know which dimms are which so consult the motherboard manual. 0 is usually the first dimm.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

I would recommend running Memtest86, if you let me know how many dimms you have and the size of each ram stick in the dimms 0-3 or 0-1, I can let you know which stick is likely bad.

From speccy it looks like you may have 2 4gb sticks which would make MT fairly easy to figure out.

Also note: sometimes re-seating ram will fix errors... Because a stick is actually disappearing sometimes, I may suspect a bad connection or a bad stick of ram/motherboard/cpu problem.

Edited by zingo156, 27 January 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Partition 2 (the C: drive) is only showing 8% free space, this means you only have ~55GB free left.  I would suggest not allowing any more free space be used.

I would also suggest running Western Digital diagnostic tool Data Lifeguard for DOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users