Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdwCleaner & Kaspersky.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mattytun1514

mattytun1514

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hi ive had "Eset nod32" antivirus for 12 months, but it came to the end yesterday, so today I decided to give "Kaspersky internet security" a free trial before I decide if I'm going to buy it and each time I boot-up I get this pop-up........................gthh_zpse03e45fd.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,278 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

The detection is for a file in AdwCleaner's quarantine. It can do your computer no harm - as you can see by the file location and extension (.vir).

I suggest you uninstall AdwCleaner. This will remove the contents of the quarantine and stop the detection by Kaspersky. Also bear in mind tools such as AdwCleaner are constantly updated, so using the most up-to-date version is important. There is no use keeping a (potentially) outdated version on your machine.

To uninstall AdwCleaner:
- Open AdwCleaner.
- Click Uninstall.
Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

When an anti-virus or security program quarantines a file and moves it into a virus vault (virus chest) or a dedicated Quarantine folder, that file is safely held there and no longer a threat. The file is essentially disabled and prevented from causing any harm to your system through proprietary security routines which may copy, rename (usually by adding a .vir extension), encrypt and password protect the file as part of the moving process.

Quarantine is just an added safety measure which allows you to view and investigate the files while keeping them from harming your computer. One reason for doing this is to prevent the permanent deletion of a legitimate file that may have been incorrectly flagged (a "false positive") and placed in quarantine. This can occur if the scanner uses heuristic analysis technology which is not as reliable as signature-based detection (blacklisting) and can potentially increase the chances that a non-malicious program is flagged as suspicious or infected. After confirming the file is legitimate, it can be safely restored from quarantine and added to the exclusion or ignore list.

When the quarantined file is known to be malicious, you can permanently delete it at any time by launching the program which removed it, going to the Quarantine tab, and choosing the option to delete. In your case, as noted by LiquidTension, uninstalling AdwCleaner will remove everything.

If you need to use AdwCleaner again, you can always redownload it.

Keep in mind this could happen with almost any security program which utilizes a dedicated quarantine folder...if these files are left in quarantine, other scanning programs and security tools may flag them as a threat while in the quarantined area so don't be alarmed if you see such an alert. Just delete the quarantined items after confirming they are malware and subsequent scans should no longer detect them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 mattytun1514

mattytun1514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

thanks for your kind help ..................... :bananas:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#6 mattytun1514

mattytun1514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

ive decided I'm just going to remove the 30-day trial of Kaspersky and go back to Esetnod32 :bananas:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,750 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

ESET NOD32 is my personal choice and what I have been using for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users