Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Has Turned Dark

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chanyang

chanyang

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:34 AM

hi, my lcd monitor has turned dark all of a sudden.
but the loading page is fine and so is the cursor,
as soon as the log in page comes up it turns dark.

could it be a virus or the monitor?

please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

Well from what you described if you can see the monitor with pages showing normally right from startup to a certain point I would say the monitor is probably OK = Alright. Since you see a cursor it means that the Windows system is trying to load and is stopping at a certain point which is just after the drivers for the mouse are loaded.

I think Windows has taken a dump somewhere and probasbly needs some work. A couple of questions.

I - Does your windows have Service Pack 2 installed and was it installed separately or a part of the Windows Installation?

2 - Do you have a Windows Installation disk or a Recovery disk?

#3 chanyang

chanyang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:04 PM

ummm i'm not so good with computers, but i have a cd with new windows xp pro on it? should i try to reinstall it?

#4 lentheman

lentheman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

When you say it turns "Dark," Do you mean the picture itself darkens, or the screen turns black? Try booting to the "F8" screen while booting up, and see if choosing the "Enable VGA mode" option gives you the same results.

To reach this screen, tap the F8 key a few times right as your Bios is about to start loading windows after all of the start up beeps and whitsles are done.

I'm wondering if maybe your video card is set to a higher resolution than your monitor can handle, or if maybe you need to reinstall your video drivers. You can most likely also try just booting into Safe mode as well via the same "F8" screen.

I apologize if this confuses you, as I realize you are a novice pc user. unfortunately I have an appointment to attend and I don't know how soon I'll be back, so hopefully somebody else on this forum will help further troubleshoot this problem with you.

Regards

Len

#5 chanyang

chanyang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:53 PM

Hi, yes, when i enable vga mode the monitor is back to normal, but much smaller etc.

if it is the video card, how do i make it so i can use the normal resoluthing thingey?

thanks again

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:08 PM

Try changing the resolution from Safe Mode. It won't change much there, but maybe when you restart it will be back to normal. While you're in Safe Mode, check your hardware device drivers by holding the Windows key and tapping the Pause key. Depending on how it is set up, you may have to also hit the function key as some laptops require that to enable the Pause key, so it would be function (fn) + Windows key + Pause. That should bring up the System Properties box, and you click on the Hardware tab and the Device Manager button and find your video entry to see if there are any big yellow exclamation points or question marks obvious. If there's a problem you may have to reinstall your video drivers.

#7 Twistshifter2

Twistshifter2

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:29 PM

check your video drivers, and do a monitor self test and check the test on the monitor.. also hook that monitor to another computer and check and see if does the same thing on another computer if so then its a bad monitor .. and vise versa
What It Do!!

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:29 AM

This is most likely the resolution of your monitor, but could also be several other things.

In the screen where it opens, but is very small, right click on the Desktop and select "Properties"

On the "Settings" tab - set the screen resolution to 800x600 (using the little slider thingie) and set your Color Quality as low as it will go (you can adjust these upward later on).

Then click on the Advanced button

In the window that pops up, make sure that Display is set to Normal Size (96 dpi) on the General Tab.

Next, click on the Adapter Tab, and then on the "List all modes" button - ensure that it lists the mode as 800x600, High Color, 60 Hertz - then click on OK

Next, click on the Monitor Tab and ensure that the Refresh Rate is set at 60 Hertz (Hz)

Finally, click on "OK" for all the dialogs until the window closes - reboot and see if the changes have taken effect.

If this doesn't work, we can start in on replacing your video drivers - but will need to know what kind of video card that you have.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:37 AM

I think the right way to troubleshoot this issue to start AT THE SITE OF THE PROBLEM and work back.

In other words, if your monitor is not looking right, then replace it with a spare and see if the problem persists. If it does not, then you have isolated the problem - bad monitor, or perhaps the cable was chewed by your dog or something (don't laugh, I have seen it!)

On the other hand if you use a different monitor and the problem persists, then perhaps you have issues with the drivers. Or maybe your video card, or in the event of integrated video - the motherboard. But from what you have said, it seems like a monitor or driver issue.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 chanyang

chanyang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:02 AM

hi, i think its a driver problem, because if i change my screen resolution to 800 by 600 and on medium quality the monitor goes back to its normal state.

however, i am a novice. so i could be wrong.

if it is the driver, how can i know which driver cd to reinstall?
would i have to reinstall the video card cd again?

thanks

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:22 AM

If you give us the exact model numbers of your monitor and your computer we might be able to steer you to the download site so you can download the right drivers.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#12 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

Hello, I think there is something that was possibly missed. Here is a quote from an earlier post.

ummm i'm not so good with computers, but i have a cd with new windows xp pro on it? should i try to reinstall it?

The member says, Reinstall it. I have a question did the member try to upgrade from another operating system? If so what was the operating system he had? If so this might be a problem from upgrading to Windows XP Pro.

Next question the Windows XP Pro disk is it an upgrade disk or an original equipment manufacturer disk (OEM)?

We can find out by asking the member to type in what the cd has on the front of it.

I think the driver did not get upgraded correctly and the member might have to get a new driver but only after we find out what is truly happening with the OS.

#13 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:34 PM

LCD screens have a native resolution. You need to know what yours is because they don't always work well at all on other resolutions.

#14 chanyang

chanyang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:03 AM

well my monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster913N.

my computer is:

Machine name: MANCHEST-811EFS
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)
Language: English
System Manufacturer: K8UVM
System Model: K8Upgrade-VM800
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Sempron™ Processor 2800+, ~1.6GHz
Memory: 448MB RAM
Page File: 220MB used, 1509MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

Hope this helps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users