Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get rid of Dept of Justice Virus on an offline XP computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TStevens1

TStevens1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

A friend dropped off his computer with me to take care of the Dept of Justice Ransom Virus.  I have found many ways to get rid of this virus but they all require me to be online.  The ones that don't, require me to get to safe mode with command prompt and delete files one by one.  The problem is that this XP system will Blue Screen if I try to get to safe mode of any type.  Is there a program that I can use to perform this removal while the computer is offline?

I have tried using the Kaspersky Recue CD but it turns the video monitor into a wonderful rainbow of colors after booting to the CD and getting a few layers deep into the program.

I have also tried HitManPro, but it requires the computer to be online or it stops dead in its tracks.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Moved topic from Windows XP to more appropriate forum ~stolen

Edited by Stolen, 26 January 2014 - 01:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hi,

I reported your topic to those who deal with these sorts of situations, please be patient as it can take a while for someone to help out.

Thank you,

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#3 TStevens1

TStevens1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Thank you!  I appreciate the help.  Mmmmm that toffee looks good.  #DangerousDeliciousness

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Have you tried the automated instructions here that use a flash drive?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-department-of-justice-ransomware

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

Have you tried the automated instructions here that use a flash drive?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-department-of-justice-ransomware

Sounds like the user tried it Boompe since it just involves HitmanPro:

I have also tried HitManPro, but it requires the computer to be online or it stops dead in its tracks.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

I wasn't sure so I figured I would venture the notion.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 TStevens1

TStevens1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

Yes. I did try the HitmanPro bootable USB all ready.  I did hear back from the HitmanPro people today and they said to leave the USB drive installed for a few minutes to see if it would take care of the problem even though the computer is not on the Internet.  I am trying it right now.  Every time I boot this system it gets worse.  Right now it is doing a Checkdisk upon booting because of the continued problems.  We'll see what happens next and I'll let you know.

In the meantime I would appreciate any more suggestions you have.

Thanks

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

If no joy there then we need a deeper look and you will need to repost here so we can find it..

Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

Hi TStevens1, could you please let me know if you have an XP CD? Fixing this without safe mode is a bit more work but certainly not impossible. :)

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#10 TStevens1

TStevens1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:57 PM

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.  I was finally able to get HitmanPro to work (I wasn't setting it up correctly).  Once i did, it found the problem and killed it.  Thanks again.  You can close this one.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

I'm glad to hear that worked! :)

Happy computing!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users