Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building My Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eleshop

eleshop

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:27 AM

Hi,
Recently I purchased a few items to build a new computer with, and I received them all last week. I put everything together and I am having troubles (I am pretty sure) with my motherboard. It is a Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard. The problem I am having with it is that when I first booted up the computer, it beeped, indicating that the video card was not working properly. Then, after a couple more tries it started working. Now, it starts beeping continuously in short beeps, which indicates that there is a power failure. I am wondering why it is doing this (I have a 430w power supply which is more than enough), and it seems that the north bridge heat sink is getting really hot. I have spoken with local friends who are more knowledgeable about computers than I am, and they are stumped. The general consensous is that the motherboard is bad. However, I did get the computer up and running one time, but since has not run properly. The system I put together consisted of this motherboard, a GForce 7300GS 256MB video card, 2 Maxtor DiamondMax 250GB SATA Hard Drives, an Intel Pentium D Presler 800Mh processor Dual Core, 2 sticks of pqi 240 pin 1GB DDR2 Ram, a Pioneer 16x DVD + - Burner, and Windows XP home edition. Any help would be great. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:02 PM

A faulty motherboard is a possibility.

You could try with only the essentials: Take out the motherboard of the case and put it on a non-conductive surface; plug in one stick of ram, the processor, video card and power supply. Try and start it then, either with an onboard power switch or by connecting the power switch pins with a flat-headed screwdriver or similar.

It could also be that the power supply isn't good enough. 430W should be enough if it actually is giving you 430W. The Truth about PSU power ratings.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users