Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prevx--Friend of Foe?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AndyPandyUK

AndyPandyUK

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Hello, all:
I downloaded prevx anti-virus software today (from Major Geeks), and started the program. As some of you may know, prevx, reviews one's system and then (I think) compares what it finds to files "in the cloud". My firewall (standard windows kit) kept refusing to let prevx "through"--and I got nervous and stopped the program (which I had to do several times as it is quite persistent.

Two discoveries: (1) although my WIFI connection was up and running, I wasn't able to connect to my standard pages (on chrome)--and the icon showed a strong connection. I clicked over to IE, and saw this message at the bottom of the screen: "SafeOnlineBHO add-on from Prevyx is ready for use. Download?" I refused, and closed the program. (2) For some reason I decided to click on the WIFI icon--and found that my computer was connected--to an unknown network!!! That really freaked me out. I killed the connection, ran malwarebytes and nothing came up; I ran ComboFix and get a message that my regedt32.exe file was corrupted. It wasn't clear if CF corrected the program (and I've seen the message before, so I don't think it was related to Prevx. I also used System Restore and returned the computer to a known "safe" state.

I'm now running ADW, just to be on the safe side.
My question: is Prevx anti-malware software, or malware in disguise? 

Thanks, by the way, for this site. I feel so secure and "protected" using the tools I've downloaded from here. I know this is a labor of love for the site admin(s?), and I do appreciate it.

Angela

Mod Edit: Moved from WIN7 to Antivirus ~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 25 January 2014 - 10:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Prevx is not malware.  It is a trusted software if it was on Majorgeeks.  If it was Malware, Tim would have removed it a long time ago.  Webroot bought out Prevx back in 2010, and both are trusted companies.  You have to let the BHO run, along with the other processes through the firewall and along with when the services, otherwise the program is going to complain about not being able to work.

Suggest you read the documentation on the software for Prevx.  This is the Wikipedia article on Prevx for you to read.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevx  There was an issue in 2009, that actually Prevx found a problem coded in Windows 7 at that time, that Microsoft denied.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm

Edited by Greg62702, 26 January 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#3 AndyPandyUK

AndyPandyUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

Thank you for your response; I will check out the links you were kind enough to include. 

I'm still concerned about my wifi connection being changed, quite concerned. Prevx was the only change to my software, so of course I think of it as suspect. Until I find an answer to that, I'm likely not interested in using it.

Thanks again.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Both Webroot and Prevx have been around for years.

Most of the links at Major Geeks are downloads for older versions of Prevx CSI Malware Scanner released at the end of 2010.

Webroot and Prevx formed a single company in 2010 and the following year released Webroot SeureAnywhere product, integrating technology from both Prevx and Webroot. They are no longer accepting renewals of Prevx products so if you're interested you should consider removing Prevx and upgrading to Webroot.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users