Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Program Files to another Drive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MLNeidig

MLNeidig

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Hello, Bleeping Computer.

My computer has two drives:
C: drive is a 64gig Solid State Drive.  The intent is for this to be the boot drive.

E: drive is a 1TB Solid State Drive.  This is meant to be the storage drive for everything else. 

C: drive is consistently getting nearly full.  Once in a while I can trim it down a bit using disc cleanup utilities (cautiously, of course.  I heard that disc defragmentation software can wreak some havoc on these things).  The bulk of the drive's capacity comes from the  Windows and Program Files drives.

These are the folders in C: and their capacities:

Expat Shield - 4.00 KB on disc

inetpub - 952 KB on disc

Intel - 1.07 MB on disc

NVIDIA - 225 MB on disc

PerfLogs - 0 

Program Files - 3.21 GB on disc

Program Files (x86) - 15.3 GB on disc

temp - 0

Users - 5.09 GB on disc

Windows - 29.7 GB on disc

Would it be safe to relocated the Program Files (x86) to E:?  Would the two files merge?  What can I do to minimize information loss if I merge the files?  Is there another alternative to free up space?  The ideal function of C: is to only contain what is necessary to run the OS. 

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

You cannot put program files anywhere but C: with Windows... doesn't work.

If you are running hibernation you can turn that off and delete hyberfil.sys, which will clear up a load of free space.

Make sure you have nothing on your desktop, and change you folder path of my documents, download etc. onto your E: drive. (move the current files over too) That will help a bit.

TFC is a great cleanup tool, finds a lot of other stuff other file dumpers don't.

I'm sure some other members have other suggestions on how to free up some drive space.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

64gb is small by today's standards.  If it is just documents, pictures, videos, music that is taking up all of the space, get a NAS like the Lenovo ix2 series, or use the 1TB for storage of those items.

Download and run Tree Size, to see what the hogs are http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

#4 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

The only way I know to fix the problem is to change where your programs are installed when you run the installation program.  You can specify any drive you want, so for future programs it shouldn't be a problem, but with your current programs you'd have to uninstall what's currently there.  Then reinstall them all over again on your E: drive.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

Installing on other drives other than C: totally depends on the type of application you are installing and its system dependance... Most won't allow it. Others won't function properly if you do it... Also defeats the purpose of having an SSD.

#6 MLNeidig

MLNeidig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

I've made registry changes so that the default installation path for everything that I have installed to my PC selects the E: drive first.  Sometimes a sneaky program finds itself in C: drive, like the Hearthstone installer from Blizzard, but otherwise, it's not problematic.  

I'll have to look into turning hibernation off.  I think that's something I've already done though.

I'll give that cleaner that TsVk! recommended as well. 

Thanks!

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

I've made registry changes so that the default installation path for everything that I have installed to my PC selects the E: drive first. 

Could you link me to where you found this please... As far as I knew it was system protected.

Also let us know how your programs function installed in D:...

Much appreciated.

#8 MLNeidig

MLNeidig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

I only have the two drives, TsVk!.  C: as a boot drive, and E: as 1TB storage drive.  I do not presently have a D: drive. 

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

I only have the two drives, TsVk!.  C: as a boot drive, and E: as 1TB storage drive.  I do not presently have a D: drive. 

The E; drive then... confusing my letters sorry... D: would be your dvd drive I guess.

#10 MLNeidig

MLNeidig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

I appreciate all of the info given by TsVk! and the other posters, but I'd really like to know if I can simply move the Program Files from C: to E:. 

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

no... registry keys loaded at program installation will be incorrect.

#12 MLNeidig

MLNeidig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hrm.  I'll have to play around with installing and reinstalling some of it then.

Most of what's in the Program Files section are games I've installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled with Steam.  If I have a program/game uninstalled, will its files persist in the Program Files folders? 

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

I don't know this... never gone down this rocky road before.

Someone else?

If I have a program/game uninstalled, will its files persist in the Program Files folders? 

I'd say probably... sometimes programs give you the option to preserve user data. Other times they just don't delete it. Other times they do. This data may also be config'ed for C: drive also, depending on system dependance.

you could always just copy it out before you uninstall it.

edit: you might just bite the bullet and lash out on a bigger SSD for you boot/OS disk.

Edited by TsVk!, 26 January 2014 - 01:10 AM.

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

You may be able to load "some" programs on your E:, you need to contact the programs vendor some may have patches. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Best recommendation is to remove all applications, and reinstall from scratch and when you do a custom installation select a path on E: and it will allow you to launch them.

But be forwarned that you will have to repair the installations or keep registry backups regularly and I mean daily to maintain the registry in case Windows fails. So in all honesty its much better to keep programs in program files and keep the documents or files created in those applications on another drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users