Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux frustration

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 altonius

altonius

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

Hey guys, back again! Being really new to linux, I had some problems trying to make Puppy Linux work. This was a couple weeks ago. With all the input I got from this forum, I decided to change to Lubuntu 12.0.4 LTS. I like the way it looks, and the 5-year-old netbook really seems to like it. 

My problem is that I don't have an app launcher. I researched the Internet and found a bunch of "fixes." The problem is that I can't make any of them work! Is it at all possible for someone to give me a course of action that does not require my taking a college degree course? If so, I sure would appreciate that particular piece of information. It will cut down on my antacid intake. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

Open Synaptic, search for lxlauncher and install it. Then log out and you should have an option that lets you login with the launcher. (Not sure about that since I don't use it.) If not, there's a way to make it autostart by using lxsession-edit to add it as a startup program..

#3 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Hey stiltskin, got your post. There is no lxsession in Synaptic or when I run lxsession-edit. But thanks anyway.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

You should be launching applications from the menu as shown here:

lubuntu1204.png

Or do you mean the dock like in this:

Lubuntu+Mac.png

Edited by cryptodan, 26 January 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#5 altonius

altonius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hey cryptodan, I am trying to launch apps from the menu pop-up and I don't have a "dock" like your picture shows. I have been in the synaptic package manager and software center but there is nothing listed. At least, nothing that I recognize.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

I guess you  have not tried unity dashboard on unbuntu 12 that should display all your apps if not

Read here

http://askubuntu.com/questions/103708/ubuntu-dash-is-blank-how-do-i-get-the-apps-back

2iup99y.jpg

2aiopzd.png

Edited by NickAu1, 27 January 2014 - 07:40 PM.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

If you really want a lightweight install that uses the XFCE interface, look at Xubuntu.

#8 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:53 AM

If you really want a lightweight install that uses the XFCE interface, look at Xubuntu.

. . . or Linux Lite!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users