Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS RT-AC68R

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Just picked up one anyone have any tips or input?

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

seems a little pricey for what it does but looks like a great router.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

For what I do I am/was fine with my old Linksys, but from a source higher than I there were complaints.  TV programs at times would buffer on the laptop, also music would get choppy off and on.  From my teenage grandson she got a bug that the new box would cure all.  I am not quite as sure performance was fine during the day and late at night.  My thinking was the cable was the issue, it just could not keep up with the loads during those hours.  It is not router location it is one floor up maybe 15 feet away.  I broke down said if I'm going to leap go the route, spent an evening looking over what was out there.  There is a bevy of great ones but two seemed to stand out, Asus & Linksys others only a hair away Asus won with a two year warranty.  In a way I hope "I told you so's" don't happen.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

Looks like some mixed feelings on that unit.  The only difference between the R & U unit, is who sells them.  Same unit otherwise.  http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u  It ranks middle of the list http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/view  Really bad on the benchmark though. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bench/1235-asus-rtac68u

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

I am having an issue as it stands with the end of the setup, not many answers out there.  I am seriously considering taking back and getting the Net Gear.

Phil

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

I am having an issue as it stands with the end of the setup, not many answers out there.  I am seriously considering taking back and getting the Net Gear.

Phil

As long as it is the R7000, which is ranking on the top of the list.  BTW, do you have a Wireless-AC adapter for those computers that are using wireless?  Also, what speed are you getting from your provider?  Wireless-AC is best if you are getting Gigabyte speeds from your provider, or streaming movies from a server, or moving large files across the network.

If your speed is only 100meg or lower, anything that has decent Wan to LAN will do.  I use three Access Points in my house for coverage, so I ended up when I switched from ATT U-Verse to Comcast, going with a Motorola/Arris SB6141 modem and a TP-Link TL-R600VPN.  It works for me, since I have the 50meg package.  Having the independent A/P's, means that if I need to upgrade from Wireless-N to Wireless-AC, when they do come out with Wireless-AC A/P's, it is an easy cheap change over.

I will tell you that if you are able to change your DNS servers in the router, run DNSbench, load the custom list, then run the test.  I found that using the following DNS servers: 205.171.2.65 , 205.171.3.65  I am actually getting better results, then the standard CC DNS servers.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,760 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Lost my cool trying to setup the Asus, went and traded it for the NETGEAR 7000!  Still have n issues am starting a new post!

Edited by OldPhil, 26 January 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#8 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

You will always have issues when changing out routers.  You need to power cycle all equipment first.  Also for all computers, do a ipconfig /flushdns & netsh winsock reset catalog, then reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users