Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is something wrong with Java or is it my computer?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

My computer told me that I needed to update Java, so I did this. When I did this, it told me that I already have the newest version of Java installed. However, when I went to the java page to see which version of Java I had installed on my computer, it said that Java was unavailable and I had to either install it or turn it on. So I go search how to turn Java on using my Safari browser, but I find out Java IS turned on. Very confused. Is there a problem with Java, or is my computer screwed up. I haven't had any issues related to Java before, so I just naturally assumed everything was OK.

2 other questions:

1) What exactly IS Java? 
2) Is there any harm with downloading youtube videos with an outdated version of Java?

Edited by bigbrown411, 25 January 2014 - 06:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

java is a browser application, it provides interactivity with a small amount of sites. It does not download Youtube videos.

edit: just double checked this error... not unheard of with Safari. I'm not an Apple guy so I'm going to butt out now.

edit edit: some sites could provide a java based application to download youtube vids though, possible I guess, theoretically.

PS: search "java not installed but appears on in safari" gives loads of hits on your error

Edited by TsVk!, 26 January 2014 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users