Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very odd issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jtownsend1190

jtownsend1190

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

INTRODUCTION (SKIP TO "ISSUE FOR PROBLEM") : Hello, I am new here I reviewed a few different technical support forums before choosing this one to post my question to so do not think my registration was just a cry for help. This is my first time asking for help with pc's which is hard for me being as I am a tech. I can not figure out my own personal issue though.

ISSUE:

I have windows 7 installed on my Asus U56E-BAL7 for when I choose to work on this instead of my other PC since my day job is work from home help desk. I have had Linux installed before but had to switch since I was working from my couch for a little while when my desk broke and when I had Linux I ran Backtrack 5 (for learning purpouses) and Vanilla debian (for general use) and the thing they both had in common, they worked 100% fine with no issues. After installing windows 7 now that I work out of my office I decided I want to use linux again I tried installed 2 different ubuntu based distros and they both did something unussual. After 10-15 it would force shut the pc down as if there was powerfailure.....just dead...did not matter if it was plugged in or not and no warning sign and after doing it the first time it would happen within 2 minutes until you wait a bit......both distros did this however I am writing on here from windows 7 after quickly jumping in an doing a grub update so I got my 7 install back, and it has been on for hours no shutdown.

THOUGHTS AND WHAT HAS BEEN DONE:

My first thought like many of you was over heating but I can without a dout 100% say there is no over heating or fan blockage and if you put your ear close you can hear the fan running fine and smooth not choppy. The second thing I though was some quincidence with maybe having out of date repoistory info and kernel....so I litterlaly bit by but updated everything and still an issue. The third and final thing I thought which gets really confusing was hard drive failure (remember no events for HDD errors and windows 7 runs flawless) so I decided lets go the live cd method and see what is going on....only a few moments in on a live boot not even with temp storage and shuts down unexpectedly again. Please someone help me figure out what is going on, I work so many hours I have limited time to focus on this so I am reaching out hoping someone has some tests and resolutions lined up. I have no idea why windows runs smooth and linux used to work but now wont run at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

My thoughts...bad CD/ DVD-ROM.....

Have you tried playing a CD or DVD while booted into Windows or updating/ replacing driver of CD/ DVD-ROM?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jtownsend1190

jtownsend1190
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

DVD movies play through with no issue or jumping, skipping, jitter, etc....also I forgot to post....not only do cd installs not work but usb will not either.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

Any chance you downloaded a beta version of Ubuntu? What exactly is the version(s) of Ubuntu did you download?

Have you replaced any hardware such as video card in the past year.

Is Windows 7 a 32 bit or 64 bit version?

EDIT: Is it the Asus U56E-BAL7 you are attempting to install Ubuntu on?

Edited by buddy215, 25 January 2014 - 06:07 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 jtownsend1190

jtownsend1190
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

No I only am download the ones based on 12.04 LTS same ones that worked before. I already stated in the post its an ASUS U56E-BAL7 windows is x64 as are the linux distros and nothing has changed from factory hardware even the ram is still same 6gb I have not upgraded to 8gb yet.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

OKAY....try a later version of Ubuntu....the latest release is 13.10. My thoughts are that the video card driver or

other drivers on the DVD are not compatible with your hardware. If that is the problem, it is likely the 13.10 version

will solve that problem.

The 13.10 version will be supported through April. That is when the next LTS (5 years) will be released.

#7 jtownsend1190

jtownsend1190
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

I wish it was that simple but as I stated it worked before and I developed http://waxos.org on this laptop for a few months which is ubuntu 12.04 lts based and 12.04 was released in 2012 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases#Ubuntu_12.04_LTS_.28Precise_Pangolin.29 and I believe the laptop is from 2011, moving to a newer version if anything would most likely support less and less of older hardware....non the less I will give it a go with linux mint x64 newest cinnamon 16 release which is an ubuntu 13.10 candidate and was released 2 months ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_Mint_releases

#8 jtownsend1190

jtownsend1190
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:25 PM

Still was failing. After trying some other devices I figured out I am really unlucky...I have a bad sector on hdd and flash drive storage went out as well. Not sure why hdd did not trigger a smart event. Anyways used different sector for partition and different flab drive and everything is stable now. .. Thanks for the help. Wish it was something other than a replacement needed but at least I now know before it is to late to backup.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Bummer.....if you are superstitious, you know...bad things happen in threes....expect one more thing to go wrong.. :killcomp: :killcomp: :killcomp:

If the Live CD/ DVD wouldn't work....which has nothing to do with a bad hdd or flash drive....you may have another problem. 

Not real sure though, that you tried using the install CD or DVD as Live.

#10 jtownsend1190

jtownsend1190
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Yeah. Lol. And I only tried install from dvd never love when I ran love it was from USB.... my hdd may stay not be fully bad though. ... investing enough the sectors clusters are not showing but in windows they do I looked because after a while Linux crashed again after I thought it was working. So I am backing up everything now and going to completely format the hdd to see if windows is actually the issue in some strange way... Sorry for tips and such. I'm replying on my Galaxy s4. I will let you know my findings tomorrow after work (2pm pst -8 utc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users