Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1, system crash, can't restart.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DaveACarr

DaveACarr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:49 PM

Dear BleepingComputer

I've had my fair share of, and am pretty conversant with, problems in XP and Vista, (thanks for ComboFix by the way!) but this windows 8 has got me completely knackered.

I'm using a Lenovo Ideacentre B340 running windows 8.1 with the following spec:

Intel Pentium CPU G645 @ 2.90GHz
DDR3 SDRAM
Lenovo Mahobay motherboard
440GB Hard Drive

My system crashed yesterday during a windows update and now it's going round in circles trying to start itself. Windows Repair keeps telling me to restart,  I can't boot to safe mode or use system restore.

I tried a "refresh" but it says "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again." I do not have a back up disk.

I can bring up the C: prompt, however, I haven't really dabbled with DOS since windows 3.1!! (I know!)

Any suggestions as to how to force this OS to boot would be greatly appreciated. Failing this, how much does a decent Mac cost?

Thanks in advance

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users