Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good source sites for secure & legal free movies and free/free to try software?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

I thought it would be a good idea in keeping with the overall goal of this site to start a thread to give people a list of legal and secure sites for downloading free or dirt-cheap movies, music and software/games.

I believe this would helpful in terms of not just telling people not to visit/support pirating websites,

but to also give them other alternatives so that there wouldn't be a temptation to go there anyway

(And also for people like me that Don't want to steal, but also don't want to pay more than I have to)

Master list of sites for free/dirt cheap movies, music and free/free to try software:

Music

Open Music Archive

LEGAL NOTICE:

Contains music with expired copyright according to UK copyright law, which states that the copyright expires 70 years after the author's death.

As such, some of the music may be considered "pirated" in countries with longer copyright periods.

For example, The longest copyright period I know of is Mexico (100 years after the author's death).

INCOMPETECH

This guy composes his own music and gives it away for free!

Movies and/or TV

Hulu 

Movies and tv free with ads, or (for cost of membership) watchable without ads.

http://www.epixhd.com/ 

Free for Dishnetwork users?

Netflix

Not completely free, but VERY low price!

Software

WARNING! As stated by Quietman, Many free Software Sites contain ads  or link to sites containing ads with misleading download links to potentially dangerous software!

Be sure to click the correct download link, which is usually smaller than the false link, and it's usually a good Idea to avoid clicking on links with the words "Reccomended" or "Important" next to the link.

Even if the correct download link is selected, Potentially unwanted programs (PUPs)

May be installed if you click through without opting out.

:thumbup2:  :bounce:   :guitar:  Bleeping Computer  :guitar:  :bounce:  :thumbup2:

Cnet Download (Wide variety of software, including games, Game demos, video and audio players, editors etc.)

Cnet installs PUPS practically as a rule unless you opt out.

MajorGeeks

SnapFiles

FileHippo

Also has a utility for keeping programs up to date.

A list of unsafe/legally questionable "for free" sites would probably be helpful as well.

Edited by Jdaniel314, 25 January 2014 - 08:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

That is a good question.

When I think about it Hulu does have movies.

I use Netflix.

I can use http://www.epixhd.com/ as I have Dishnetwork and can use that to be able to watch. Yup, just tested works good.

Many of the Movies channels can be watched that way.

Cheers

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

Um, how do I make words into clickable links?

Edited by Jdaniel314, 25 January 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Hi, Easy Enough

make-link.jpg

See the arrow pointing up. Click on that button in the editor and paste the URL in the URL box. It is actually very simple.

paste-url.jpg

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

I agree this topic would make a good discussion but its not necessarily a general security issue so I am moving it to a more appropriate forum.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

Could we add music to the list?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

With CNET and similar third-party download hosting sites, you always have to be careful with links to download anything. Clicking the link may redirect to another downloading site which uses heavy and confusing advertising with more download links. Clicking on the incorrect link (thinking its the one you want) often results in downloading a program the user did not intend to download. Sometimes looking at the name of the setup file before saving it to your hard drive, will give a clue to what you are actually downloading so you can cancel out of it.

Further, many third-party hosting sites bundle toolbars and other software in their download packages as a way to increase vendor revenue and recoup business costs through the distribution of third party software. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads

CNET.com, publishes this Software bundling Policy

Any additional programs or third-party items included with the downloadable file must be clearly disclosed in the CNET Downloads product description and during the installation process. Users must be given a way to opt out of all additional items during installation, or they must be given an opportunity to cancel the installation completely.

The safest practice is to use the vendor's official home site or an authorized mirror...but in some cases, they too will redirect you to another hosting site which practices bundling or uses confusing advertisements resulting in downloading software you did not intend to download. In fact even if you download and install legitimate software from a direct source it is still possible for the vender to bundle unwanted software into the package and you may not be aware.

These are generally safe third-party download hosting sites for free software:
* MajorGeeks
* SnapFiles
* FileHippo
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Could we add music to the list?

Sure, Just Check the original post, which I will be further updating as I can.

Also, I'm not an expert, so if anything on the list is incorrect, feel free to point it out so I can correct it.

Edited by Jdaniel314, 25 January 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#9 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

Thank-you! :thumbup2:

#10 Jdaniel314

Jdaniel314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

I'm having trouble posting a Wikipedia link to a list of copyright periods by country, are links to Wikipedia not allowed, or is it a glitch?

Edited by Jdaniel314, 25 January 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#11 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

I'm having trouble posting a Wikipedia link to a list of copyright periods by country, are links to Wikipedia not allowed, or is it a glitch?

Links to Wikipedia should work...after you paste the link or text, then select the text and turn it into a hyperlink using rotor's instructions above. 

Like this for example: 

Wiki for BleepingComputer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeping_Computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users