Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 & Combofix

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brentwoodmicro

brentwoodmicro

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hi there, I'm new here so bare with me :)  I'm sure this has been asked plenty, but when I search the forum with the above search option, I get no hits.

When will there be a working version of Combofix for Windows 8.1?

Cheers

Neal

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 January 2014 - 11:35 AM.
Moved to general security forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

For those reading this topic and not aware, although not listed in the Authorized Guide, ComboFix will run on Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit).
ComboFix, however, is not compatible with Windows 8.1 yet so you cannot get it to run.

As for when it will be compatible with Windows 8.1...that will depend on the developer (sUBs) when he has time to do the required coding and when he has access to a Windows 8.1 system.

Please be aware that staff members and Security Experts are all volunteers who assist members as time permits. No one is paid for their work or assistance to members of our community. We have jobs in the real world, families and other commitments. Right now the majority of his time is devoted to providing support for the existing version of ComboFix which is very time consuming in itself.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 brentwoodmicro

brentwoodmicro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

How is win8.1 that much different from Win8 that combofix needs a code overhaul?  New kernel or something?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

All discussions about Combofix are in private areas not for the general public to read. Why? Everything we discuss can be read by the bad guys. Yes, they read these forum topics looking for clues (knowledge) on how to circumvent our tools and removal techniques. We don't want to provide any information they can use against us so we deliberately do not provide specific information on the specific inner workings of our tools in areas where attackers can see that information. As such, our discussion in public areas is limited and sometimes may appear vague or not fully address a specific question so it should not be taken personal.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Re: "How is win8.1 that much different from Win8"

Windows 8.1 Review: Little Changes Make a Big Difference. No comments, just reading material.

The lower half of the review seems to have some details for you -

Thank You -

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

sUBs has recently advised that he is holding off releasing any of his tools for Windows 8.1 which includes both ComboFix and DDS. Meaning he is fully aware of the compatibility issue but needs time for thorough testing to ensure it works safely on that OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users