Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEED FAST REPLY! Really quick question about Lucid Puppy Linux.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

If I have Lubuntu and Windows (reinstalled windows after a bad Linux Lubuntu network error) on a dual boot on grub (Windows XP doesn't have it's own bootloader) and if I uninstall Lubuntu and then do a complete install of Lucid Puppy then will it still have the bootloader for grub or will it break everything?

EDIT: I am running of PartedMagic right now because that's the only thing I can get internet on.

Edited by AlexSmithFanning, 25 January 2014 - 04:11 AM.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

Assuming you used installation defaults grub will be in the /boot/grub directory in the main Lubuntu partition.  Removing Lubuntu will therefore also remove grub.   To get a bootable system after doing this you would either have to install another Linux distro (and allow it to install it's own copy of grub) or restore the Windows boot files from the Windows CD if you wanted to use only Windows.  I've never installed any version of Puppy Linux onto a hard drive so I can't really say what the procedure is, but I assume it will be similar to other distro's.  There's some guides etc. here - http://puppylinux.org/wikka/InstallationFullHDD

Edited by jonuk76, 25 January 2014 - 09:23 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Only thing you may wish to do after using Puppy's Universal Installer to hdd is to run update-grub

or if this does not function to update GRUB menu to currently installed kernels, run the full command

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Just intall Puppy first, then uninstall lubuntu.  If partition needed, use your current partition utility program to delete the /home

after first backing up data from there, of course

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#4 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Thank you for the info! I did uninstall Lubuntu expecting it to screw up everything (which it did). But I found that you can use MBRWiz (It's included in Hirens BootCD) to restore the Windows bootloader. Then I booted from the live Puppy CD (to install it) and installed GRUB4DOS to the Windows partition. I haven't rebooted yet to see if it worked but I am hoping it did. 

#5 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Well it's kinda working...   Every time I boot into Puppy all of my settings have changed back to default again and I have to download my web browser again. Did I do something wrong? I install a full install but it says I have to have a .SFS file to load all of my settings. I was hoping to install and have the entire partition to have my personal files, settings, wallpapers, browsers in the same place so that when I load up Puppy all of my settings are there. Can I not do that?  

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Every time I boot into Puppy all of my settings have changed back to default again and I have to download my web browser again.

Yes because you are booting from a Live dvd everytime you exit puppy would request that you create a save file, Without that puppy will boot from dvd only without any of your settings.

YOU MUST SELECT THE SAVE TO FILE OR TO CD OPTION.

2wlyly1.png

Edited by NickAu1, 27 January 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#7 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Can someone close this topic? As it no longer applies because I got Zorin (Somehow it run really fast on that crappy Toshiba A60). Therefore Puppy Linux is no longer in commission for me. Thank you! (Also a lot easier to install! GUI Anyone!) 

Edited by AlexSmithFanning, 28 January 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

As a general rule we do not close topics. However with that said, we do close malware log topics once they are complete or abandoned. This is due to their one on one nature.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:55 AM

Well, I'm glad I didn't close the topic as I reinstalled Linux Puppy and (I still have my Alex-lupu.2fs save file) because I had a driver issue with Zorin (Jeez, I HATE my luck with Linux) but when I got it reinstalled and booted it up, I got a freaking BLACK screen! I have the menu bar but nothing else is showing up on my desktop. Except I think that Puppy is now having a driver issue also, because when I boot it up at the loading screen when it says "Loading drivers to access disk drives" it has like 5 blue "good" dots loading and then like 10 "bad" red dots loading and it takes a really long time. And now I can't access my PNY USB20FD drive from puppy (ran PartedMagic off Hiren's BootCD) and I can access it fine! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! Or I'm just going to have to buy Windows to put back on this freaking thing! If anyone MIGHT be able to find a small Linux distro that is under like 200MB that I could use instead of Puppy  (with a GUI NOT A CLI)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough.  

#10 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

Um, could replacing the ROX-Filer for Thunar have anything to do with it?

#11 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:11 AM

Nevermind, replaced Thunar and it worked. Jeez linux is SOOO sensitive. Now I know why they have a penguin for a logo. :hysterical:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users