Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have to enter an admin password to run any program

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gary1947

Gary1947

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

After a recent update of 8.1 64 bit, I log onto my HP (Centrino Duo 1.3, 4 GB DDR2, 500 gb HD) laptop and find that all customized settings had been reset to default and when I tried to run any program or make changes in Control Panel, 8.1 demands an admin pasword.  I am the only user and use this laptop at home and I do not need or want that level of security on this laptop.  I need to lower the permissions threshold.  If I cannot do that, I will reinstall Windows 7 on this computer.  Please help!  I like many features on Windows 8, but requiring an admin password to do anything other than run an app is a deal killer.  Ease of use is far more important than security on this laptop.. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:00 AM

yeah, it will do this.

So try this

Assuming you have a mouse right click on your desktop and go to personalize.

in the top bar click on control panel

go to User Accounts and Family Safety

Click on User Accounts

Click Change User Account Control Settings

Drop it down to Default, or one step below.  I would not go all the way to the bottom.  Why, because this would allow any program to change whatever without your knowledge.

Hope this helps

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 Gary1947

Gary1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

Open control panel

go to Family Safety

Click on User Accounts

Click Change User Account Control Settings

Drop it down to Default, or one step below. 

Even though I am logged into an Administrator Account, I am told that I must be logged in as Administrator to decrease security more than one step. Settings below default require extra effort.

I opened Internet Options and changed the security level there.  After reboot, I at the new lower security level.

Thank you!

Gary

Edited by Gary1947, 26 January 2014 - 01:00 AM.

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

Anytime, glad I could help.  Windows has an issue with Duel admin’s.  I noticed this in Windows 7 when I did a burn down of my HD and a reinstall.  I followed the Microsoft process, and it led me into issues due to the Oldwindows file, in your C: drive.  (Check if you have one) 

You might run into issues down the line, this is because depending on who made your machine almost all the manufactures add a admin account with elevated permissions and it’s hidden.  So when you go to Win 8 from win 7 and do not do it through the maker of your computer, it will not play with you at all.  This is not a Microsoft thing, it’s a Dell, or HP or whoever thing.  You can play with that and enable or disable it.  Just note you need to set up one additional Admin account or standard one so you can still log in if something goes wrong,

Enable or Disable Build in Admin

So you have some options if issues arise so I will include the links here and you can save the pages in case you’re stuck in the future.

Make Win 8 know your the Admin

Enable or Disable UAC in Win 8

Reference from Microsoft Tech Support

Also, DONT DISABLE your UAC unless you have too.  Win 8 and 8.1 Metro Tiles (the apps) use UAC to function.  Its a token related item and not worth going into, but if you DISABLE the slider I showed you how to do, or move it all the way down, you will not be able to use the Tiles.  So don't go any lower than med. level.

Note:  You should have at least some UAC (user account control) when using your machine.  (at least the black screen that pops up and says “hey you need permission to do this”) Also, it’s a good practice to create another standard account to browse the web.  This will ensure that maleware cannot side step you as easy and run items in the background with Admin privileges. 

Good luck and if you need anything else contact myself or anyone here.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users