Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shutting down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KarenRae1067

KarenRae1067

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

Hi, I have a barebones kit computer that I put together approximately two years ago. Since then I've had to purchase new memory and now a new hard drive due to it going bad.  I just bought a brand new hard drive a WD 1TB 7200 64mb SATA. After installing it, the computer kept shutting down on me until I updated the buffer speed in the bios and that seemed to cure the problem for the time being. Now it is doing the same thing, shutting down on me right in the middle of me doing things on it. Any one know what I am missing here?

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 KarenRae1067

KarenRae1067
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

Hi Louise,

I really appreciate you responding to my post with suggestions of help for my computer.  I was able to solve the mystery and I am happy to say that it is back up and running again! Long story short, I bought a barebones kit online a couple years ago that contained a Gigabyte motherboard, an Asus chip, a DVD-RW drive, a Seagate 1.5TB HD, 8GB of memory, and all the other components needed to put it together, including the case.  When it came, I put it all together, never noticing that the CPU fan that they supplied in the kit was a three-prong, instead of a four-prong, but as I never noticed, I put it on there anyway & it started right up and worked fine for about 6 months. Then I started having blue screens & other probs., including it shutting down unexpected, but that time it turned out to be the memory. So I replaced them & it was fine again until about six months ago when I notice the HD start to make a clicking noise. Anyway, I replaced the HD last week but the computer kept shutting down, & now I know it was due to the improper fan, as the fourth prong on the "right" fan is what communicates with the comp. (bios) & tells it when its getting too warm. So I went out & bought the correct type of CPU fan, changed the settings in the bios so now it will set a buzzer off if it gets too warm...and voola...it works perfect.  I hope explaining this helps others who may have similar situations. And thanks again for your offer to help!

Karen

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users