Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Testing processor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Is there a definitive way to test a processor?  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

There is no way to test a processor, as there is for other components. If you are having problems, first test all components, and if the processor is the only thing left you have found the problem. Of course, you can always swap out the proc with another for testing, but not many folks have extra processors sitting around the shop.

#3 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the comment. Yes everything has been replaced, some twice unfortunately.  

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

If you can give some information on the problem I may be able to help you diagnose it. I have seen 5-10 processors die in my many years of pc repair (this is probably the most rare part to fail from what I have seen). Those that did fail usually did so due to overheating. Most of the time it was a different component causing the problem, ram, motherboard, etc.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

zingo thank you for the offer of help.  The processor is in the process of being exchanged at this point.  I would think that they don't fail often as you've stated.  As stated it is the last piece of hardware that hasn't been replaced on a new machine build with Windows 7 professional that has freezing issues.  The temperature was never out of normal range when I was monitoring it.  I'm not gaming on this computer at all.  I would appreciate an explanation of how the cores work if you don't mind providing  that or a good link that I could read.  Do they all operate at one time or do they "kick in" as load increases?  

This is my first build and the experience has not been pleasant to say the least.  Having said that, I am going to build my wife a simpler machine now since her's is an XP machine.

Thanks again.

Edited by Bill_in_Texas, 27 January 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

The processor cores will all operate at the same time all though some programs may only use 1 thread at a time. It depends on the software, some will take advantage of multiple cores or threads, others will only make use of 1. Cpu's with power saving enabled will automatically change clock speeds from idle to full load. You can think of a core as a pipeline. Having 4 pipelines will usually allow for more data flow. Intel has hyper-threading which allows for 2 threads per core. The cores process threads (single lines of code or commands).

See this for information on threads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_%28computing%29

Edited by zingo156, 27 January 2014 - 12:14 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users