Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tej

Tej

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:12 AM

I am running windows XP proffessional with SP2.
Automatic windows updates turned on
I have an icon in my system tray showing updates are ready for for your computer.
However when I click the icon.. windows tries to update but I get a message saying
Updates were unable to be successfully installed
Security update for Flash Player (KB913433)

It seems all other updates were successfully installed .. there were 2 other updates ( total of 3 updates to be installed)

The icon keeps showing up in the system tray

Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:34 AM

I can only think of going to the update site itself via star/all programs, and run the express scan. When you see that update uncheck the box and check the box that ays "Don't Show This Update Again" and that should solve that problem.

Izzy.

#3 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:32 AM

Did you try to reboot your computer ?

#4 Christopher83

Christopher83

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:26 AM

I had this problem when Adobe Download Manager was installed, yank that out of there if you have it and try again. You should uninstall/deactivate any other download managers as well.

#5 Tej

Tej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I did go to start>programs and ran windows update. There is no express scan. However, I checked the history.. which showed the failed update. message sgowed to click failed icon to see how to solve the problem. I did click the failed icon .. and nothing happened.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for all the help
regards

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:55 PM

Here is a workaround I keep handy that very often works for that problem:

Bring up a command prompt and type 'proxycfg -d' to clear the proxy cache (if you are using one).
Type 'net stop wuauserv' to stop the automatic updates service.
Open Windows Explorer and browse to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution. Delete the contents of this folder.
Go Back to the command prompt and type 'net start wuauserv' to restart the automatic updates.
Retry Windows update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users