Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio Laptop Display Not Working.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hi Guys,

Here to pick your collective brains again.

I have an older model Sony Vaio Model ( VGN - NR21J/S ) 

I turned it on, only to find the display wasnt working. It is completely black - no hint of light coming from it at all. 

I've tried adjusting the brightness to no avail. 

I've tried connecting it to an external display, but there seems to be no signal coming from it, so i'm wondering if perhaps it could be the video card rather than the display itself ?

If this is the case, is there anyway to check other than just swapping it out with another one to test it ?

Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards, 

Rob

If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

If you're getting nothing from an external display, if connected prior to boot, then it is most likely a video card issue.  With most laptops that means the system board has to be replaced.  Normally the out of warranty cost makes getting a new machine reasonable.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Remove the battery from the laptop and the power adapter from the dc jack of the laptop. unplug the ac adapter from the wall. Now plug the adapter back into the wall and plug it into the computer (leave the battery out). Try to power on the computer... At this point do you have any lights on the laptop? If you do have lights but no screen still try the next step:

Pull out the ram and try re-seating it a few times. If this does not work try 1 stick of ram only at a time in both dimms, if you only have one move it to the other dimm. If you have 2 sticks try each in both dimms by themselves you will have to power on many times, leave the battery out and unplug the adapter when doing these tests (disconnect the power any time you move a stick of ram) then re-power and see if it comes up.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

One more suggestion: With the computer on take a bright flashlight and hold it close to or against the screen and see if you can see anything on the screen. The back lights can burn out and I believe in your model you have an inverter which powers the back light. If either component fails you will have no light from the screen but the lcd panel itself should still display an image.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users