Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to install Vista on my new hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hello all! I have finally purchased and physically installed my new hard drive I posted about in this thread 

Right now I'm having a bit of a time installing Vista on it.  I downloaded an ISO some time ago because I could not find the discs that came with our PC.  I get through the copying files bit, (#1) and then part of (#2) until it stops and gives me this error code:

0x80070017

I tried cleaning off the disc and got a bit further with installation.  As you can see from the other thread I'm installing onto an HP Pavilion.  Does anyone have any familiarity with this error code? And/or any suggestions on what I could do to get things moving again?  I've used the same disc to install Vista in the past with absolutely no problems.  

OK. I have solved that problem.  It was indeed a dirty disc, but I'm leaving the question up there in case it helps someone else with the same problem.

The problem I'm running into now, is that it says it cannot complete the install of Windows on my Hardware and it asks to restart the installation completion, but then tells me it won't work and I'm in an over and over again loop. Am I going to have to order something from HP or can this be fixed without going through that?  

Thank you in advance!

Edited by High-Flying Bird, 24 January 2014 - 04:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

Hello,

Because your install got a little farther after cleaning the CD, I would suspect that it is a media problem, DVD drive issue, or a little of both. If you have the iso file, burn the iso again at the lowest speed (4X should be fine) and see if the install completes.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 January 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#3 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Thank you so much for getting back to me!  In the meantime I've been looking other places and accidentally changed the BIOS to start from the on-board video....yet I don't have one!!!  D'OH!  I just finished taking out the CMOS battery and it is reset, but the problem persists.  

Unfortunately, I don't have the ISO anymore and they seem harder to come by than they were when I burned it before (it was a few years ago).  Does HP even have these disks anymore?  I got through to almost the last part of the install. I have even tried deleting the hard drive partition, and starting fresh again.  The same thing happens.  It says that "Windows setup cannot install windows on your computer's hardware" I believe that's the exact message.  Is there something I need to tweak? Is there anywhere else I can get/borrow a DVD to set this up?  It's so frustrating as I got this far and I know it's just a matter of it installing the last bit and I'm set. 

I could swap out the DVD drive for another one we have in another PC (a PC that doesn't work anymore).  I do know that thanks to the kids' futzing with it, the DVD drive doesn't like to shut without a bit of extra help.  Could it really be as simple as different DVD drive?  If that's the case you just made my day! Thank you for the suggestion! :bananas:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

Changing out the dvd burner may help. You could try one other option. Download Imgburn. Then use it to read the DVD disk in the drive to create an iso. I would do the read at a slow speed. Maybe 2X. Then burn this new iso at a slow speed. When you install Imgburn make sure you uncheck any extra software it wished to install like toolbars.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/6379-how-to-create-an-image-file-from-a-disc-using-imgburn/

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

Where did you download the ISO from?

#6 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

We couldn't find anyone that had the discs anymore, and we couldn't find ours, so we found a site that seemed legit that had the ISO.  

Unfortunately, I cannot find it anymore, as far as I know the copy we have is good other than the dirty disc.  It worked in the past to re-install Vista.  Do you think I shouldn't trust the disc?  Does HP even have these discs around anymore?  If you reference my other post linked above, there are lots of reasons why it's better to just stay with Vista on this particular PC.

Do you think an IT/PC repair shop would sell me/lend me a copy of the disc to reinstall??  Could it be that I have to download drivers for the hard drive because it's a newer type?

Edited by High-Flying Bird, 25 January 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Try reading the cd and create an iso with imgburn as I noted in post #4.

Follow the steps listed here to create a new iso file.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/301852-vista-iso-download-create-installation-dvd-usb.html

#8 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

Try reading the cd and create an iso with imgburn as I noted in post #4.

Follow the steps listed here to create a new iso file.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/301852-vista-iso-download-create-installation-dvd-usb.html

Thank you so much!!  But now I have a rather silly question....how do I tell if I have a 32 or 64-bit PC?   :bubbles:  I think I'm going to try to create a new ISO file, because this one disc is really starting to irk me.  In addition, I was looking around and my problem is common with Windows 7 people trying to install on new hard drives like mine.  Something about drivers or some sort missing.  Could this be the same issue or are you fairly certain it's my disc and disc player?

Sorry for all of the edits, but I found this, which is making me think more and more this has to do with the new hard drive which is probably advanced format.  And what they suggest doing in some of the links is making my head spin.  Most of what I know about hardware is self-taught, so I don't understand what I'm really supposed to do!  I know that I keep having to erase the partition the disc makes to try to reinstall Windows each time, so I'm thinking it is an SP1 disc, as it made a partition.  But then my brain kind of goes wonky.  

Edited by High-Flying Bird, 25 January 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

If you have over 4 GB or more of ram go for the 64 bit. If you have less than that I would personally use 32 bit. The key you have will work for either 64bit or 32 bit.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Vista SP1 detects advanced format drives out of the box. I would not worry about it unless you get this specific error.

"Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware"

The newer advanced format drives can emulate 512 byte sectors to keep them compatible. After you install SP2 or Vista you can apply the hotfix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2553708

Here is a good pdf from HP on advanced format drives.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02691731.pdf

#11 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

That's the exact error message I get.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

See method 1 and 2 in this knowledge base article from Microsoft. You are going to have to load the drivers from the CD (or USB) during install as described or change the BIOS from AHCI to IDE.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 January 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,971 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

I should have listed the driver you need. Here it is. The first one one the page is for 32 bit. The second is for 64 bit. Extract the zip file and put is on a USB or CD. Do you know if your instal DVD is 32 bit or 64bit?

The article was for Windows 7 but it should apply to Vista also.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 January 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#14 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Thank you so much! I am not sure whether I have the the 32 or 64 disc. Can I tell by the size of the partition it's made in my past failed installation attempts?

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

It should say on the CD if its 32 or 64bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users