Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Memory Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rgreen07

rgreen07

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

Hi, my computer keeps slamming me with low memory problems, and it has since I bought it. At first it would only happen when I used this manga reading program I'd downloaded, and then only after I'd flipped through a rather large amount of pages. I figured that's normal. Then it started happening once or twice a week due to my Rosetta Stone; I imagine it was then from going through a certain number of lessons, and I would leave the program on each time without closing it. Not a big deal. Today, however, the memory got low a little faster than normal, and my pc restarted itself because of it. When it came back on, I reopened my google chrome tabs (about 6) and all of a sudden the message came on again that I was low in memory! I looked, and I have 3.82GB of 4GB available to use, but my computer was at 91% memory usage with just chrome open. I shut down Chrome, but my memory was still at 70%, with no programs open at all. Right now I'm at 80% with two tabs of chrome and nothing else open. My computer says that Chrome has by far the highest memory usage, with 6 iterations of something called Service Host taking up 110~MB in total. Other than that I don't understand what's wrong. Chrome is updated fully, and my computer is only over a year old. Any insight?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

What antivirus are you running.  I just finished fixing the same issue as well.  It was AVG hogging all the resources.

In case its not look at this and let me know what you come up with.

This is from Matt Smith:

Svchost.exe hogs your processor’s performance

A common Windows’ system process, svchost.exe, can start consuming processor cycles it doesn’t need. This can make your system feel sluggish, and may even cause it to crash.

There are a few potential causes. The first is malware. Because svchost.exe is a common Windows service, some malware will use it as a disguise, knowing most users have come across svchost.exe before and are unlikely to think it’s a virus. You can rule out this possibility by downloading a free anti virus and scanning your system.  I would pick malewarebytes, but that is if you don't have one already

Another potential trigger is the Windows uPNP (universal plug-and-play) service, which scans your home network for compatible devices. The service can get out of hand, scanning continuously and  using resources until no more are left. To fix this, do a Windows search for the Network and Sharing Center, and open it. Then go to Advanced Sharing Settings and turn Network Discovery off.

Finally, some programs install services that can make svchost.exe go bonkers. The most likely culprits include anti-virus apps, backup apps and networking utilities. Try un-installing any software that you installed just prior to the problem arising.

Note that consumption of some CPU resources by svchost.exe is normal, including periodic spikes. You only need to look for a solution if the process is continuously using a significant portion of your processor’s power.

Let me know if this works If not we got some options.

good luck

Edited by czarboom, 26 January 2014 - 04:21 AM.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 rgreen07

rgreen07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:54 AM

I'm running Norton, and I tried everything else in your post to no avail. Thanks for the help thus far!

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

OK, Have you rebooted and ran in Safe mode with and without networking.  WHen you do this does the issue go away or is it still there?

Once you have done that, we will need to look at the services running at boot, and eleminate them step by step until they are gone or the issue is.

But before this I would like to see what is going on, if that would be OK.  There is a tool that is free and safe called Speecy

This guide that I used and was provided by user DC3

This will just show me what is going on in your computer and will not give out ANY personal info, or files etc.  Just system settings.  From here there are a few different options we can do.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log

Ill check back later today...

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Please post the exact error message/s you are receiving.

Your laptop came with 4GB of RAM installed, that should be sufficient for most uses.

One thing you could try would be to increase the amount of the virtual memory.

The following is quoted from Windows Support.

"If you receive warnings that your virtual memory is low, you'll need to increase the minimum size of your paging file. Windows sets the initial minimum size of the paging file equal to the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer, and the maximum size equal to three times the amount of RAM installed on your computer. If you see warnings at these recommended levels, then increase the minimum and maximum sizes.

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

In the left pane, click Advanced system settings.  Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK."

Edited by dc3, 26 January 2014 - 03:25 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rgreen07

rgreen07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

dc3:

What kind of numbers should I be setting? Is there anything wrong with setting a high number?

#7 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:49 AM

I see your in good hands here, Ill let DC3 get this underway, good luck to you

CZARBOOM 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

If you look at the Virtual Memory window there should be three page file figures.

Minimum allowed:

Recommended:

Currently allocated:

If the currently allocated amount is smaller that the recommended increase the amount to the recommended amount.

The rule of thumb for this figure is 1.5 times the physical RAM.   4GB RAM x 1.5 = 6GB Virtual Memory

If the virtual memory is set at the recommended amount I would leave it and look for what is causing the error messages.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users