Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

combofix won't finish

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fkmorel

fkmorel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

I'm running combofix on my (other) computer.  It completed the scan and started preparing the log.  The screen saying "preparing the log. do not run any programs until combofix has finished" has been up for over 2 hours.  Is this reasonable?  What can I do if it hangs indefinitely?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

This is one of the reasons why we recommend not to use ComboFix on your own. There are risks involved and we would prefer it if someone who knows how to resovle any issues that may arise is supervising its use.

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. Per the developer, people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (see here) who is assisting them deal with a malware problem. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix (i.e. stalling, hanging, crashing) or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance.

With that said, there are circumstances ComboFix will hang, crash or stall at various stages due to malware interference, failure to disable other real-time protection tools or the presence of CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD) so that it does not complete successfully. Also, depending on how badly a system is infected, ComboFix may take longer to complete its routine than it normally does or fail to run properly. While that is not normal behavior, it is not unusual. In such cases, it is helpful to know at what stage ComboFix stalled/crashed and to provide that information to the Helper who is assisting you so they can investigate. Usually using Task Manager to stop ComboFix's related process is enough to abort it.

Open Task Manager and look for the following ComboFix related processes (some have a .3XE extension):
  • PEV.exe
  • NirCmd.3XE
  • PEV.3XE
  • SED
  • GREP
  • any file that has the extension *.3XE except CF*****.3XE <- do not end this process
One at a time, right-click and select End Process. If doing that did not free ComboFix and allow it to continue, then you will need to reboot the computer manually.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 BenjaminAtom

BenjaminAtom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

I'm also having this issue today only when I try to end the outlined processes i get an error along the lines of the operation not being able to be completed

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

These too?...any file that has the extension *.3XE (except CF*****.3XE)

Did you try manually rebooting the computer?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users