Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen and Cursor after 8.1 Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SquaretekTech

SquaretekTech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hey, all.  I'm an IT Technician for a repair store, and I have stumbled across something absolutely frustrating.  I'm sure that this has already been discussed, but I must know a few more things.  I had a customer come in and request that we upgrade his Dell laptop (I will give the specs below) to Windows 8.  That was all very well and good, and the install went off without a hitch.  But a day later, the customer came back and said "put 8.1 on it."  I, for one, and a H8tr.  I absolutely despise Windows 8, 8.1, etc.  But, being as the customer is always right, I obliged.  After all of the Win8 updates were finished, it finally asked "do you want to upgrade to 8.1 for FREE?"  I clicked yes, ok, continue, whatever, and installed 8.1.  But alas, it was all in vain.  Now, when I log the customer in, it only gives me this hateful black screen and cursor.   I have done everything the entire interwebs has recommended, and then some.  It hasn't changed a bit.  I updated drivers, (tried to) refresh the pc, rollbacked the drivers, uninstalled the video drivers altogether, everything short of a fresh install.  So please help me out here!  The customer is getting anxious.  

Dell Studio PO2E

Intel HD Graphics

Intel Core i3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

A 'no-reformat reinstall' for Windows 8 - by Fred Langa

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

The problem lies that 8.1 is not loading drivers as it is supposed to be.  Especially if you do a clean install.  If Dell does not have the proper drivers, check the chipset manufacturer website for the latest drivers.  If that does not work, the only fix is to roll them back to 8.  Microsoft pulled 8.1 for a while, because of the issue with drivers not working correct with it, along with problems with the Surface tablets.

It is more of a hit or miss, if the machine will work with 8.1.  I have not had any problems with 8.x.  It is just like Vista, that people get it in their heads that the OS is the problem.  It is when they run into problems like this, they make it sound like it is the OS that is the issue, when it is a manufacturer issue.

Intel & Microsoft of late have been having their indifference's, when 8 was being written.  Intel is not even pushing Microsoft to fix multiple problems with the APU's, GPU's, sound & network drivers.

That is why I went with a AMD chipset based unit, with Realtek network, sound, card reader chipsets.  The only change that I have made on mine, was a Crucial M500 SSD and a Intel 7260 Dual-Band Wireless-AC mini-card.  No problems with the drivers for that, or errors from Windows 8.1.

When you roll the customer back to 8, block 8.1 from installing, make an image of the drive with either Clonezilla or another program that you use, and create a disc, that the customer can just put in their drive and load the working image of their OS.

#4 SquaretekTech

SquaretekTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

Well, if I had a choice, I would go with an AMD, but this is a customers computer, so I can't really do anything.  I just wiped it and told the customer to ignore any Windows 8.1 update notifications.  I also had him turn off the Windows update (I know, it's a bad idea). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users