Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regarding Best antivirus & malware protection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BabyBlues8

BabyBlues8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

I am new at the computer scene and I want to make sure I have the best security possible for free, Of course. I could use any and all pointers on what to have installed and also can someone please tell me what is the best fast & safe browser to use? I have asked several people and received several answers. Heeeeeelllppp...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations.

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

For more specific information to consider, please read:Same goes for browsers... you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. I prefer to use Firefox.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

I am new at the computer scene and I want to make sure I have the best security possible for free, Of course. I could use any and all pointers on what to have installed and also can someone please tell me what is the best fast & safe browser to use? I have asked several people and received several answers. Heeeeeelllppp...

Hi

quietman7 said it best.  I'd add only one thing:

In my opinion, the best approach to protection plans is to select any of the mainline AV tools mentioned here and in many other discussions, along with an antimalware-specific product, and to maintain a reliable tested backup plan since no AV or antimalware tool can guarantee a 100% success rate of blocking all intrusions into one's PC.

I'm using 2 backup routines:

- Full HDD backup plan, Cloning or Imaging.  That provides protection from several scenarios,

- HDD failure

- Nearly all malicious intrusion scenarios

- User mistakes, bad downloads, Registry-edit mistakes, etc.

- Incremental backups, for those "must-have" items.  In that way, you can restore your entire HDD fairly quickly and preserve your important items.

If you're in the market for a PC, I'd recommend considering backups as you shop and decide on your PC's choice, whether it's a Desktop or Laptop PC.

- Purchase a spare HDD for the PC.  That way, you can use the spare HDD to maintain a complete bootable spare HDD on your shelf in the event of emergencies.

- Create a bootable media, CD, or use a USB stick, using a freeware or paid HDD-backup software tool and test the backup and restore methodologies so that you'll know they're reliable when the time comes that you'll need to restore your PC.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:

What is the best antivirus protection?
What's the best premium security suite in the market currently?
Recommend a good free antivirus program
Which antivirus and malware programs should I use together?
Antivirus Solution?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users