Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop doesnt appear to boot from HDD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 steveh8204

steveh8204

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

I have an Acer 5332 laptop running Windows 7. When I switch it on nothing happens. There doesn't even appear to be any Hard Drive movement.

I've took the drive out and connected it to my other laptop and all the files are accessible.

I've used Chkdsk on the normal and 'System Reserved' partitions and its come out ok.

I've tried using a W7 boot disc and that reads for a while then nothing. I even tried connecting the laptop to a monitor via the lead in case it was just the screen but still nothing.

Does this hint at a hardware failure past the hard drive and RAM. I would try a new hard drive but I don't want to throw good money after bad if the laptop has had it.

Also, is there a way to extract the Windows 7 key from the data on the hard drive? I was just thinking if it is a new drive I need I could use it to install a new copy. It's a legit copy and the sticker on the case has long worn off.

Any help much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

Don't think answering that last question is allowed on this site...

What exactly happened when you use the Win7 boot disc?

When you switch on the laptop, do any lights on the case blink? If so, what color and how many times?

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

When you say "When I switch it on nothing happens." do you get any post screen or bios screen? Any picture at all? If you see nothing on the screen then it could be just about any piece of hardware causing a no post problem. I usually start by pulling the ram and reseating it. Or try one stick of ram at a time in each dimm (if you have 2) if you have only 1 stick move it to the other dimm. If nothing still, try a new stick of ram.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 steveh8204

steveh8204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

When you say "When I switch it on nothing happens." do you get any post screen or bios screen? Any picture at all? If you see nothing on the screen then it could be just about any piece of hardware causing a no post problem. I usually start by pulling the ram and reseating it. Or try one stick of ram at a time in each dimm (if you have 2) if you have only 1 stick move it to the other dimm. If nothing still, try a new stick of ram.

Hi Sorry yes that was a bit vague. The laptop appears to come on, the fan comes on, the necessary lights come on and the cd stirrs if theres one in. I've had nothing from the screen. The HDD hardly seems to start, if at all. It appears the computer is waiting for something.

I'll try the RAM thing.

Sorry, I thought the Windows question was ok as it is a legit copy, I've got part of the number but not most.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

If there is no video at all (not an acer screen or post screen) The computer is hanging on post or not outputing a video signal. Definitely try the ram first. I suggest removing the battery as well. It could be any hardware in the computer causing a no post including the hard drive. You can leave the hard drive disconnected and still power the machine on. You should still get something on the screen. Most likely without the hard drive you will get text on a black screen that says something like, unable to find bootable drive press esc to reboot or f1 to go into the bios...

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 steveh8204

steveh8204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

If there is no video at all (not an acer screen or post screen) The computer is hanging on post or not outputing a video signal. Definitely try the ram first. I suggest removing the battery as well. It could be any hardware in the computer causing a no post including the hard drive. You can leave the hard drive disconnected and still power the machine on. You should still get something on the screen. Most likely without the hard drive you will get text on a black screen that says something like, unable to find bootable drive press esc to reboot or f1 to go into the bios...

Tried the RAM thing, battery and took the hard drive out, still nothing on either screen!

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

I am not sure what hardware is easily accessed without a complete tear down, it would be wise to disconnect everything that is not needed that you can access for example: wireless cards, keyboard, hard drives, etc. Whenever there is a no post issue or no video on the screen it must be hardware related.

Do you have a back light on the screen? If you take it into a dark room is there any light coming through at all? It is possible that the back light burned out and it looks like there is no video. You can take a bright flash light and hold it up against the screen when it is on and see if there is anything on the screen then.

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Do you have a back light on the screen? If you take it into a dark room is there any light coming through at all? It is possible that the back light burned out and it looks like there is no video. You can take a bright flash light and hold it up against the screen when it is on and see if there is anything on the screen then.

If that was the case then the external monitor would have worked.

It's possibly the motherboard. A reflow might give it a quick fix. The GPU chip needs to be reheated.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Externals do not always work on post. Most do but I have seen many that do not...

#10 steveh8204

steveh8204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

Cheers, theres a few things I'll try out tomorrow. I'm in work now til the morning.

This doesn't mean much to me though to be honest:

'A reflow might give it a quick fix. The GPU chip needs to be reheated'.

Thanks again though for your help so far both of you :)

#11 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

Reflowing is essentially heating a board until the solder points partially melt. It involves completely removing the motherboard and heating it with either a heat gun (think blow dryer) or putting it in an oven. Check out some of the videos on Youtube under "reflow a motherboard". I've done it several times and it works, but it's not a guaranteed solution nor is it always a permanent one. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users