Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Linux

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vinith_04

vinith_04

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:23 AM

Hello

I have a Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz, 256MB RAM with Win XP. Will instaling Linux slow
down my computer. I was told that the RAM gets divided equally for Windows
and linux.

Please reply

Vinith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:22 AM

I was told that the RAM gets divided equally for Windows
and linux.

This is not true. The Operating System will use all the RAM you have.
If you have 256Mb and boot Windows it will use all 256, same for Linux.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

Why would it matter you would want it to use all the RAM you have because you can only run one OS at a time.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 vinith_04

vinith_04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:11 AM

Hello

Thanks for replying

Vinith

#5 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

also linux uses ram, but it also uses a swap partion.make it double your installed ram.no more then 512 is really neccesary.

Edited by acidburned, 02 June 2006 - 03:11 PM.

#6 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:06 AM

Since you're running XP, you may have problems with the NTFS partition (unless it's all ready a FAT 32). Linux distro's won't always fix this. You may have to do a diskcleanup, and scandisk then repartition your hard drive. Make half of it for XP and the other half for Linux to install on. Partition magic I have found works great for this. Of course there are other ways and other programs, choose what you like.

I am wondering if that's what you meant. RAM is a system resource. Regardless of what operating system you have, it's all useable by the active OS. However...You may have up to 4 OS's on one hard drive. If you have XP and a single linux distro, that's 2. Linux will also replace your boot loader with usually either Grub or...oh stuff, what's the others name...I can't remember right now. When you boot up a screen will appear asking you which OS you wanna use.0

Anyway, as far as things being halved, If you have, say a 100 gig hard drive, a linux installation will typically set 50 for the other OS and 50 for itself and the like 3 or 4 partitions it will make on it's space. Confused? I was...
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#7 kundan

kundan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

would any one please tell me is 845GVSR intel motherboard supports linux or not[color=#FF0000][size=3][indent=1]

#8 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:06 PM

There is no reason why it shouldn't be. Linux doesn't tend to be picky about mb so much as graphics cards and audio cards. I won't say it's 100% compatable. Because of the nature of the open source community, coupled with the fact that many manufaturers do not actively invest in open sourcee developement, it should work, but you may not have full functionality of it. I've looked your board up and there's nothing there which would indicate to me you would have any problems. However, hardware can be funny sometimes. Additionally, I found no linux updates on Sourceforge about it, which is typically a good thing. The only disconcerting thin I noticed was Intel did not bother to say whether it was or not...have I confused you?

Basically, what I am saying is this: You should have no problems with Linux. I just felt I had to make you aware of some of the things you may have to be prepared to deal with when trying it out. As they say here lots, Use a Live CD trial frst, if you like it and it runs smooth, then a full install will be just as good.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users