Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop - How Much Ram Is Sufficent?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AZrox

AZrox

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:32 AM

Hello all,

I'm looking into purcashing my first laptop.  The computer will be used for websurfing, MS Office, CD burning, downloading and playing music.

I visited a local electronics store and the sales associate suggested not to purchase any laptop with less than 6 GB of RAM.

For what I am going to use the computer for, will 4 GB of RAM be sufficient?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hi, yes 4GB of ram will more then sufficient for your uses assuming you don't do any heavy multitasking and you can always upgrade the ram later down the road if you do need more.

Edited by killerx525, 24 January 2014 - 08:57 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

While 4GB will be sufficient to run I agree with the sales person that 6GB, I actually recommend 8GB, would be a better user experience.  I found that a machine with 4GB of RAM is sluggish running basic corporate security suites, a couple of web windows, and e-mail.  If price is an issue check out Crucial for the model you are interested to see if you can install more RAM later.  Normally you can save a bit of money if you purchase and install the RAM yourself.  RAM is usually an end user upgradable part.

#4 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Thanks guys, I'm leaning toward 6 GB.  I will see if the 8 GB computers are in my price range.

#5 Avalon60

Avalon60

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

One thing I will say, is that my acer aspire 5338 only had 4Gb of ram when I bought it, and although that is the manufacturers maximun which can be put in, it has been running without any problems for almost a year with 8Gb of ram.

So my point being is that it may well be a good idea to find out what that max ram is in your chosen laptop before you actually buy it.

#6 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

Ok, I am going to be the odd person out here... I would not recommend 6GB. Namely as that will likely drop the machine out of dual channel mode, and reduce performance. Granted that won't be a massive reduction, but it will be there either way. For the usage you mentioned, 4GB will do perfectly fine. If you really want to ensure you never have to touch ram in that machine, go ahead and grab 8GB (the next matched set).

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#7 AZrox

AZrox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the input.  I am still resarching and shopping. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users