Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forticlient 5.0 free av/vpn installed 1818 items in Registry,2178 in total

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wzwzwz

wzwzwz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:28 AM

Attached File  Screenshot_3.png   113.25KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_4.png   106KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_5.png   113.09KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_6.png   109.08KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot_40.png   40.49KB   0 downloadsHello, Respected Bleeping Computer, I have a Dell Optiplex gx520 with xp pro sp3 which I installed Forticlient 5 Free AV/VPN ,I couldnt get the vpn to work so I attempted to uninstall Forticlient 5 with IObit uninstaller, which informed me Forticlient had installed 1818 items in the Registry and a Total of 2178 items such as dlls and drivers, so I took screenshots and can provide any other system info.

My problem is, as Im in the middle of the uninstall I noticed the number of items which rang the alarm bells so Im unsure whether to go ahead with the uninstall or manually cut power to the computer as now Ive clicked the uninstall button and IOBit did its powerful scan for remaining Forticlient items so I cant go back now, if I cancel, the 2000+items will remain but Forticlient will be partially uninstalled.

I read a review that said Forticlient locked a customer out of their computer after they uninstalled it.  

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2014 - 09:23 AM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Try doing a System Restore.  Use a restore point prior to the download.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

In regards to IOBit (EvonSoft.com) products, please read:PC Mag: IObit Security 360 Review

Poor malware removal left many executables, some actually still running. Poor malware blocking did not prevent installation of malware...it just doesn't do the job of removing malware or preventing malware installation.

Although, the Malwarebytes team no longer has an issue with IObit, the vendor's dubious methods would not warrant a recommendation from me to use or trust their software. Further, IOBIT has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame.

These are much better alternatives to IOBit

#5 wzwzwz

wzwzwz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

thanks for the replies, I can see you are very busy,I had to pull the plug on it,eventually, as the cpu was 100%, but luckily because Id left it for 24hours wondering what to do about it the uninstall process had idled and when I rebooted Forticlient had not uninstalled.

Interesting info about IOBit, Is 2000+ items normal for Forticlient? I ran malwarebytes which was all ok, so Thanks for your advice. 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

FortiClient is a complete end point protection suite.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

I'm not familiar with Forticlient, but I took a look at your screenshots and they look familiar.

This is what you see when an installation program installs components (COM & ActiveX objects to be specific) required by the application it is installing.

I've seen installations with thousands of registry entries for components, so this does not surprise me.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users