Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help...recurring problem. random shutoff reboots but not in safe mode.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 tryme123

tryme123

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Computer specs. Custom made music computer made by Music computing.
2.4 ghz Twin Xeon processors (6 core each). 36gig of ram, 1tb hd, win 7 64bit professional. where do i start. About 12months ago i began experiancing random shutoff..reboots. These reboots would sometimes happen right at the long in.screen. And sometimes randomly at any given moment once logged in. Never in safe mode though. (side note: at log in, since there is a 10 inch touch screen installed via usb, a quick flash happens while it initializes..and sometimes a restart happens at that point). The things ive tried: several virus,malware, rootkit scanners since it has been suggested that worms sometimes behave in that way...some infections removed..but no.avail. I have disabled audio drivers, the usb moniter driver(ion)..no avail. Using a repair disk...no avail. Check disks to check for errors...dr1 has a bad block and so does dr2,3,and4. But nothing else. Checked for power conditioning issues...but ive taken this machiene on the road(youll see from a quick search that this pc is in a music keyboard format) and it does indeed still happen on the road and plus it does not happen in safe mode...so it cannot be electrical...driver issue??? The weirdest part is that for some reason, the thing stopped experiancing problems for 3 weeks straight...then suddenly one day...boom once again...same issue. No minidump file so not some sort of system failure. ...someone help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

it does not happen in safe mode

That tells you that there is some software that is loading that conflicts with the OS, or you have a corrupted driver that trying to load. These are very difficult crashes that are hard to pinpoint, and the only way I know of is to check all your programs 1X1 and reinstall if possible, check all drivers for your system including any video cards, possibly delete/reinstall with latest updated drivers. Reinstall your motherboard chipset/video/sound drivers, and delete them first if possible. The CD that came with your computer will have all those drivers. I would not update them at this point if possible, sometimes updating drivers will cause problems with older software/hardware. Just try to get your system back to normal and concern yourself with updating drivers afterwards.

Try to remember exactly when this started, a real possibility is if you installed a new software program, updated your music software, started using a new browser, etc.

Sorry, man, I wish I could give you a quick and easy answer on this one, but random reboots are one of the most difficult problems to troubleshoot.

The only hardware that I can think of that may cause this is a power supply going bad or too low an output. The only way to test a PS is a tester (Newegg.com has them for $20-$50) or swap out with a different one that has a higher output.

Once a long time ago I had this problem and finally had to throw in the towel, just hosed my hard drive and reinstalled Windows and all programs and that solved it. I never did find the reason.

Edited by ranchhand1, 24 January 2014 - 12:55 AM.

#3 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Hey man thank you so much. This computer is used in a recording studio and it started again after i installed the Waves 9 plug in bundle. The company that makes the computer system Does not give a recovery disk. Will backing up the drivers first and making a driver disk work?

#4 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

The computer has now,become unstable in safe mode!!!!!

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Let's try a clean boot.

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

Click Start

VistaStartButton.jpg

, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

SecurityShield.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

Step 2: Enable half of the Services items
  1. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  2. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Services list.
  3. Click OK.
  4. When you are prompted, click Restart.
Step 3: Determine whether the problem is resolved
  • If the problem still occurs after you restart the computer, follow these steps:
    1. Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 except that, in Step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes in the Services list that you originally selected.
    2. If the problem still occurs after another restart, click to clear half of the remaining check boxes again until one service is running when the problem occurs.
    3. If the problem does not occur after a restart, reverse the selection of check boxes. Repeat this process until you can isolate the one service that is running when this problem occurs.
  • If the problem does not occur after you restart the computer, follow these steps:
    1. Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 except that, in step 2, click to select half of the cleared check boxes.
    2. If the problem still does not occur after another restart, click to select half of the cleared check boxes again. Repeat this process until you have selected all the check boxes and the problem still does not occur.
    3. If the problem occurs after a restart, click to clear half of the check boxes that you last selected. Repeat this process until you can isolate the one service that is running when this problem occurs.

If you can isolate one service that is selected when the problem occurs, that service is the one that causes the problem. If you cannot isolate any service in this manner, a startup item might be causing the problem.

If you determine that a service is causing the problem, go to Step 6. If you determine that no service is causing the problem, go to Step 4.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items
  1. Start the System Configuration Utility. To do this, see Step 1.
  2. Click the Startup tab, and then click to select half of the check boxes in the Startup list.
  3. Click OK.
Step 5: Determine whether the problem is resolved

After you complete Step 4, click to clear the Hide All Microsoft Services check box. Then, repeat the steps in Step 3, except that you are now working in the Startup list instead of in the Services list.

Step 6: Resolve the problem

After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration Utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

If the problem occurs when your computer is in clean startup mode, then the interference is not being caused by a background program. In this case, return your computer to the normal startup mode. The normal startup mode starts Windows in the usual manner by loading all device drivers and services.

You might also want to return Windows to a normal startup mode if you have problems during any of the troubleshooting procedures that are discussed in this article, and if you want to return the services to the original settings.

Notes

• If you isolated and disabled the interfering program or service, returning your computer to a normal startup mode will enable that program or service. Also, the original error message or behavior will occur again.
  • You do not have to return your computer to a normal startup mode if you followed the steps in the "Determine what is causing the problem" section. This is because you have probably already enabled all the services by performing the procedures in that section.

To return your computer to a Normal startup mode, follow these steps:

1. Click Start
    VistaStartButton.jpg
    in the Start Search box.
  2. Type msconfig, and then press ENTER.

SecurityShield.jpg
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
  3. On the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

#6 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

So the clean boot had no result. The question of the hour...is it the power supply??

#7 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

Hey man thank you so much. This computer is used in a recording studio and it started again after i installed the Waves 9 plug in bundle. The company that makes the computer system Does not give a recovery disk. Will backing up the drivers first and making a driver disk work?

Probably a silly question but have you tried uninstalling the Waves9 bundle?

#8 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

Yes. I forgot to mention that after the problems started again after months, i did a system restore and got rid of waves

#9 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

So you guys still with me? Lol. I think that i can almost say that it is certainly not a power issue and almost certainly a windows service. I decided as mentioned to disable literally every service. To start there. Total stability at that point. Decided to then reenable only microsoft svcs. And restart. A few min in, reboot. At this point i have not gotten as far as troubleshooting any non microsoft services so there could still be trouble there. But for sure, if its a conflicting service its a MS. To be sure im going to let the machiene ru. Over night to see if it reboots. Tommorow i will then reboot , see if it remains stable one last time and the. Begin to reenable groups of services to try and reel this bad boy in. Thanks!

#10 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

I should add that at this point there are also no startup items selected. Im guessing that when i get to a point where i have isolated the service (s) that is causing the problem without startup svcs selected, that if the problem still exists with startup svcs selected i should repeat the above process with the start up items

#11 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

So, I used the above method, in a sense. I disabled all but MS services. Then i arranged the services alphabetically. I enable services A through L with total stability. I gave thosr services a passing grade. Unchecked them and moved on to M though P...bam...endless reboots and instability. I then trouble shot services M through O individually...no instability or restarts. Then i got to svcs P. Bingo. As i was looking through them i noticed a process called "power". It was linked to a svchost process Dcomlaunch....thoughts??

#12 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Here are my results and i pray theres a solution. It was indeed the power service causing the issue. I cannot disable it though with audio and other things being disabled. So why when enabled would my machiene suffer shut off restarts???

#13 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Could it be that when i reenable the Power service it restarts because all of the dependencies associated with it like the audio services i mentioned are reenabled and begin the draw more power from the PS. Thank you kingdom seeker for putting me on the righy track

#14 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

What are you running for a PSU? BTW only support in the forum is allowed here.

#15 tryme123

tryme123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

Sorry bout,that man didnt know bout that. I have to get back to you on the psu. Im waiting for the engineer of music computing to get back to me. Their design is proprietary and i dont know what parts they use exactly. I know its a server platform motherboard with twin 6 core xeon processors. Hopefully the guy will get back to me tommorow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users