Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittenly slow computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LadyMorella

LadyMorella

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have a Lenovo m82 computer that I am having some issues with. Last week the computer started up slowly, took forever to bring up applications and would hang up on random tasks (bringing up Computer directories, starting a browser, etc) then it would seem to work fine for a little bit before exibiting the same problems. When I brought up the task manager nothing seemed unusual for the CPU or RAM usage. The last installed program was two days earlier so I don't think that was causing a problem. Nor had there been any recent updates as far as I could tell.

I ran a virus scan to see if there was some sort of malware. First I used Miscrosoft Security Essentials as that is what we use. That turned up nothing so I installed Malwarebytes, started in safe mode, ran rKill and ran a scan there. Nothing turned up. I also ran TDSSKiller still nothing. So I am fairly confident that there isn't a virus.

Looking at the Event log nothing seemed to be showing up there so I decided to try a RAM scan. I used the windows 7 tool and ran the basic scan and everything was fine. Yesterday it started having the issues again pretty bad so I took a look around and still couldn't find any problems. Then in what was probably a really bad idea I did the important windows updates thinking maybe somehow it would help. Today when the computer came on it said that 'windows couldn't connect to the group policy.' It took a while, but I fixed it using the solution from P.L.X here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/why-wont-windows-connect-to-the-group-policy/b73107f8-8447-4599-87a5-65ecc6a63aa0?auth=1

Finally standard users can log in, but the computer is still really slow. I would like to roll back, but there are no restore points to go back to.

I saw a Blue Screen of death at one point today that said something about the kernal but it restarted before I could see anything else. So I figured I'd run a disk check. Well, it gets to stage 5 to about 10% then shows a Blue Screen of death that says something about "ad_system_config_info". The screen is cut off, but looking it up looks like it is bad_system_config_info.

Now I am stuck in a loop cause the system is trying to get through the check disk, but it can't complete due to a BSOD so it starts all over again, BSOD etc. I don't know how to prevent it from starting up.

So I have two problems. How do I stop this check disk BSOD loop and what is causing the problems with the computer? I think the BSOD is related, but when I looked the BSOD up it looks like it is RAM related? However I can't do anything with this computer at the moment. :-/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Well...first thing I would do is run an appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive...after changing the boot order so the system will boot from the optical drive.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

#3 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Apparently I was working too hard yesterday. Of course there is a message that says 'press any key to skip the check disk' :blush:

The hard drive is failing. I had trouble booting to the SeaTool for DOS. Not sure why. I'll have to test the disk on another machine. It managed to behave for a while last night so that I could reinstall the SeaTools for Windows. It failed the short Drive test and the long test immediately. Then this morning I call Lenovo and they tell me there is a hardware tester on the computer. :smackhead: I am too use to working with custom built machines. So a tech is coming out on Monday to replace the Hard Drive.

Does this mean I start from scratch, basic OS? This is the first time I have had a tech come out on a warrenty.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

That's a question for Lenovo Customer Assistance/Support :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users