Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display after XP loads

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

As the title says, once windows XP boots I loose video signal to both my monitors, same results in safe mode as well. I was using my computer normally and then left it for a few minutes, while I was gone it seemed to have restarted itself (the backlight on my keyboard was turned on, which only happens if I turn it on myself or if my system is restarted) and both my monitors showed no video feed. Now whenever I restart it, or completely turn it off and back on, it seems to load windows normally, but as soon as it's finished the video feed cuts out

I'm running an ati 5770.

Thanks for any help, and please let me know what other details I can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eclipsed

Eclipsed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Small update: I just tried to start up my computer again after having it sit powered off for the last hour or so, and it seemed to have decided that it was necessary to do some kind of "disk check" as it booted up? I only watched it get to about 20 percent or so before the video gave out again, so presumably it is still doing it right now. Anyone know what is going on?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

It would be very helpful if you post the make and model of this computer.

If it is a custom build, please post the make and model of the motherboard.

If the motherboard has integrated graphics remove the dedicated card and see if the graphics work.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Eclipsed

Eclipsed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the response! It is a custom build, and my motherboard is an Asus P5B-Plus. For whatever reason when I tried once again to boot up my PC normally today after it sitting powered off for the last 16 odd hours, and despite not changing anything since last night, my display now seems to be working normally, for now anyway. So I guess to slightly change the direction of this thread, does this look like some kind of future hardware failure? Maybe my video card starting to die? I'm also still very curious about what that disk check was that I only just saw for a second.

Any sort of "preventative maintenance" I should think about doing?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

The disk check is probably chkdsk /f.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Eclipsed

Eclipsed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

There you go:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8bYBXpcS6NfbrmVKhZEmmiL

Does 70 degrees Celsius seem a little too high for my gpu? I normally do a fair amount of gaming on this computer but haven't much in the past month or so, my graphics card certainly hasn't been under much stress lately.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

70C is getting pretty warm, but it looks like the ceiling is 90C.  You might want to see if the fan needs to be blown out.

One thing that I did find in the Speccy is that the C: drive only has 3% free space.  Your hdd is almost full, this could result in the hdd failing.  It most certainly will slow your computer down and may cause other problems, like crashing and BSODs.  You need to create more free space, you have the second hdd, move data to that to create at least 15% free space.

#8 Eclipsed

Eclipsed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Good call on the HDD, just checked it. I was pretty sure I had around 30 gigs free on it, I don't remember doing much of anything to bring it to the 9.5 gigs it's at now. I'll start clearing some space on it, and backing it up again if it might be failing. I'll give the fans a look too, but I'm pretty sure I cleaned them not long ago. Still though, makes sense to me that it overheating might be the reason my PC seemed to have restarted itself when I lost video.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users